Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting FPGA board to an external device for IO, what precautions to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am going to connect my FPGA board to my PlayStation controller port. The FPGA shall monitor the data going back and forth between the console and the controller. The basic concept on how to get the signals on the FPGA board (physically) is done.

I have a basic question, the signals being monitored are going to be between 0-3.3V. However, what precautions should I take to prevent damage to the FPGA? Should I put a latch in between the FPGA the signals being monitored so the FPGA shall be shielded from the signals coming from the console and controller? Or connect an inverted diode to reduce the current flow into the FPGA? Or something else?

I think it shall be safe to connect the console-controller common ground to ground of the FPGA so the console-controller signals can be correctly monitored. The FPGA board shall be powered from a seperate power supply than the console but both of them are connected to the mains anyway.

What risks exist in this? I just want to mitigate any potential scenario that may damage my FPGA.

Hi,

Why a latch?
Why not the usual IO ESD protection circuits?

But first: you say protection. Against what signals? Voltage, current, capacitance..
At least an explanation.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back