Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please educate me about a detachable laptop / tablet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
There is a computer waving me trying to be my next one as my current laptop is starting to misbehave.

How do they work ? Where does the operative system resides ? Behind the screen, under the keyboard; or both have hard drives/ssd with the OS ?

Typical candidate is ----> **broken link removed**

The intention is to remove the hard drive(s) containing the factory Windows operative system and replace with new blank drive(s) to use Linux on them. The original Windows drives to be archived in case one day there is need for that operative system, swapping back to original functional condition.
Which drive is on duty when used as 'laptop' ? Obviously, as a tablet has to work from the screen unit. Is there surprises like they communicate via WiFi if both sections are nearby, with both hard drives running ?
There may be two batteries, one at each section; is that right ? Are both 'on duty' as laptop ?

I do not want to goof by finding later a hard drive/ssd is not removable.
No, I will not consider dual booting at all. I want nothing named Windows nearby my Linux OS.

Your guidance will be appreciated.

Consider the device as Windows tablet with docking station. By default, the OS is booted from the tablet's built-in 32 GB eMMC drive. To get it running Linux, you have to replace eMMC content. Alternatively you can switch to USB or docking station HDD as boot source.

Backing up the eMMC by a reliable partition imager and restore it if necessary shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, FvM.

Is it wrong to think that if a new, blank hard drive in the keyboard/dock is loaded with Linux; it will/can be copied by the bios ¿? into the tablet flash 'drive' ; if the contents of the tablet flash 'drive' are backed up and erased first ?

As I believe eMMC cannot be pulled for replacement its entire content is to be saved as you say. I wonder how is done during factory Windows installation... Loading the OS just at the keyboard/dock and copied to tablet eMMC ?

I believe that you install Linux from a bootable image, either in USB drive or HDD.

Based on what you read here I don't think you're going to like the Linux experience when in Tablet mode. Seems the limited support for touch (minus keyboard) leaves you grabbing for the "base" and using it in laptop mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back