Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vhdl 2008 external/hierarchy names assignments and alias

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtr

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've read the following thread.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/295879/

I can successfully assign something like the following (in concurrent part of architecture)

Code VHDL - [expand]
APB_IN.PRDATA              <= << signal .SCP0466B1_tb.FPGA.PRDATA_S : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0)>>;

however the following

Code VHDL - [expand]
<<signal .SCP0466B1_tb.FPGA.PWDATA_S : std_logic >>                       <= APB_OUT.PWDATA

just gives me a glitch see attached picture
external_names.png

Also having problems with alias's

Code VHDL - [expand]
-- signal RDATA      : word32;
alias PADDR_S is <<signal .SCP0466B1_tb.FPGA.PADDR_S  : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) >>;

modelsim gives
** Error: (vsim-8523) Cannot reference the signal "/scp0466b1_tb/FPGA/PADDR_S" before it has been elaborated.

from verror -all log
vsim Message # 8523:
A signal must have been elaborated before it can be referenced in an

external name.

The default value for the type of the signal has been used.

[DOC: IEEE Std 1076-2008 VHDL LRM - 8.7 External names]

[DOC: IEEE Std 1076-2008 VHDL LRM - 14.2 Elaboration of a design hierarchy]
What am I doing wrong? Can't force concurrents apparently. Also does anyone have access to these sections of standard?

Last edited:

Without seeing the code, I can only guess that this is a multiple driver error? Are all of the signals X rather than U after the glitch? it could be a delta issue with the driver result changing between deltas (because the direct assignment would occur 1 delta before a clocked assignment, for example).
I would recommend NOT driving anything internally from a testbench via hierarchial references. It can be a little confusing, and anything like this really should be driven via the interface (although it does seem normal to use heirarchical drivers in SV simulation components - much to others confusion!)

The elaboration problem will be because you are trying to access a signal in an entity that hasnt been instantiated yet. I guess you're trying to declare it in the declarative region of the architecture?
All you need to do it move the alias declaration below the entity "FPGA" in the code - either locally in a process, or if you need it in several processes, wrap them up in a generate region:

Code:
FPGA : entity work.FPGA_ent port map ();

multi_proc_gen : if true generate
  alias PADDR_S is <<signal .SCP0466B1_tb.FPGA.PADDR_S  : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) >>;
begin
  process ....

process....

end generate multi_proc_gen;

Status
Not open for further replies.