Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coin operated microcontroller to operated 24v solenoid valve .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandedxm

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am looking for a coin operated microcontroller to operate my 24v solenoid valve .please suggest a microcontroller that activates a solenoid valve for 6 seconds once coin is inserted into coin acceptor.

Any 8 bit micrcontroller like PIC or AVR or even 8051 can be used but MCU cannot directly drive solenoid valve. You have to use a Mosfet to drive the solenoid. MCU will drive the gate of the Mosfet. You can use IRPF054N N Channel Mosfet. Don't forget to use a free-wheeling diode across the solenoid.

I am completely new to electronics.so please be more elaborate as what to buy and how to connect in order to supply 24 vac supply to solenoid valve for 6 seconds with the help of coin acceptor.please let me know if I require to buy any software of some electronics are enough. I am talking about a solenoid valve of a soda dispensing machine at present it is being controlled with the help of a microswitch for on and off.

Hi,

Your signal input comes from a coin acceptor.
This is the first you have to define:
* Supply voltage ..
* what output signal..? A serial data communication, or just ON/OFF.
* does it accept only one type of coin?

Then the relay:
AC24V, but what current?

Then the "control unit".
* only one signal input (coin acceptor)
* only one signal output (valve)
* no LED, no button, no display
* detailed function description with specifications like accuracy.

Klaus

Hi
I will explain you the situation in brief .
At present I am having a water vending machine in which there is a solenoid valve being activated when a micro switch is turned on to dispense water.
Now I want to use coin operated timer control to dispense water.At present I don't have any coin acceptor .
I will buy what ever is suggested for me.
Details of my vending machine :
Dispense water.
24 vac power solenoid valve.
Only one solenoid valve available so one input.
Only on and off .1 coin = 6 seconds on and the valve should shutdown.
Display and Led is optional ,not a must.
Accuracy is 90℅.

Please suggest a coin acceptor,Timer board or a microcontroller with which I can fulfill my requirement.(as I said earlier I know only 10℅ about electronics).

Hi,

The simplest solution is a ready to buy timer relay.
A comparator or a 555 as monostable multivibrator.
A PLC
A microcontroller
A counter with preset

A microcontroller is very flexible.
...what happens when the water is just dispensing and the customer inserts the next coin...

Klaus

I am looking for a coin operated microcontroller to operate my 24v solenoid valve .please suggest a microcontroller that activates a solenoid valve for 6 seconds once coin is inserted into coin acceptor.

Why you need a microcontroller?

Insert coin- produce a signal. This gives a trigger to a timer.

Timer runs for 6 sec and times out finally. The solenoid valve will be open during this period.

Do not make anything more complex than it need to be in absolute term.

You can set up this circuit even with a few discrete components- if you have a simple stable supply (24V is ok).

You can set up a monostable with 2 transistors but I guess it can be even done with one.

It is best to use micrcontroller and an LCD to display messages like "Insert Coin". The LCD will display status. During night it is difficult to read the messages printed on the vending machine if there is no sufficient light and so a LCD is a must and hence you need a micrcontroller.

I think what Mr.mitra said sounds good i.e coin acceptor for producing signal and timer to control the solenoid valve.but if you please give me the detail model of the timer and coin acceptor and the process to connect it would help me better.

Hi,

I can not see that you did something on your own so far.

Either one of us or you need to do the internet research on coin acceptors.
I find it useful that you do this on your own, because we don't know what is important for you.

You didn't even answer my basic questions about a coin acceptor..

Klaus

Mr.klaus I have done some research on internet regarding the coin acceptor,i.e how to program the pulse and coin in the coin acceptor , but the problem is what should I do with the pulse to run the solenoid valve for prescribed time.i missed to answer your question about inserting another coin when the machine is dispensing water ? Yes to avoid this kind of problem we are putting instructions in the form of DO'S and don'ts.

Hi,

You need to do at least a pre selection.
We don't know about mechanics, we don't kniw about power supply, we don't know what coins...
All this is your job. Show us at least (the link to) 3 coin acceptors you find suitable.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.