Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will this feeding mechanism right/work for 8*1 patch antenna array ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya047

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design a feeding mechanism for 8 patch antenna array.

I have used 50 ohm transmission lines followed by a 70.71 ohm quarter wave transformers(circular shape). Please see attached image for more clarity. I have made inset feed patches. They have good performance at 2.3 Ghz.

It will be a great help if you can let me know any fundamental issues in the design or if there is a better way to design feeding for patch array.

Regards

The Wilkinson power divider is a pretty standard architecture. The only comment I have is that you could make it more space efficient with a N-branch power divider, but those are more difficult to make.

Looks good as is. Good luck with the layout!!

It seems fine. The 70 Ohm lines should off course be quarter wavelength at your desired frequency. The 50 Ohm ones though can be made smaller (if you want to).

Update::

I have run into a problem.

The distance between center to center of 8 patches have to be same. At the same time, the striplines A&B need to be equal. Somehow, I can't solve both the problems simultaneously. I tried a lot of calculations.
While calculating distance from patch to patch, I have not considered inset feed length in the total length of patch.
I guess A & B cannot be unequal. Should I consider inset feed length and then calculate center to center spacing?
It will be a great help if you can help to resolve the problem.

Regards

I don't see the purpose of Wilkinson power divider for an antenna array. Most designs are using simple power dividers.

I don't see the purpose of Wilkinson power divider for an antenna array. Most designs are using simple power dividers.

Hey FvM,
I only know how to design Wilkinson power divider. If you could suggest any material for further study of different power dividers, I can proceed to solve this problem.
I have a personal aim to make this array work and observe results.

Regards

You don't have to do all the lines straight you can calculate the striplines according to furthest patch antenna and then come back to feed from there.

Simple power divider can be e.g. made of 70 ohm quarter wave lines without the s23/s32 enhancing resistor.

You also have the option to use 1:4 dividers made of 100 ohm lines instead of 1:2 dividers, as already mentioned in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back