Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: PCB Design with UL & Class I div 2 certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikr09

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm investigating about UL certification and Class I div 2 requirements to design PCB but i have no idea about it. I was looking for some documentation, or what to do guide but i have not good lucky with this. i don't know if i am looking on the wrong way, so i would like you to help me with this.

Thanks!

Did you have any luck finding about the same.

Did you have any luck finding about the same.

i still continue looking for it because nobody gave me a specific answer about this. The only thing that until the moment i have clear is that the PCB must be certificate with the UL796 standard and if you want to assure that the equipment can work in Class I Div II hazardous environments, the entity which can certificate that is the CSA International (Canadian Standards Association). But i do not know which could be the Standard to this topic.

Standard 796: https://ulstandards.ul.com/standard/?id=796_10

Unfortunately, if you are going to design to a standard you need the standard and this one is not cheap.

Unfortunately, if you are going to design to a standard you need the standard and this one is not cheap.

So how does a company design their board. Do they buy this standard and design accordingly or could you explain the procedure that a company follows
while designing a board.

Yes you buy the standard, that's the first port of call. Then you read it and follow all guidelines in the standard that are pertinent to the layout, usually current capacity of traces with UL.
Then if it has to be certified you send the completed assembly to UL and they measure it etc.
They are strict and its expensive to get items certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back