Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromechanical locking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasHx

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need an electromechanical lock example for a battery operated system, it must be a small one ... while searching i always get door locks or some magnetics involved.

Any help would be appreciated.

The question isn't clear. Do you want to design the lock mechanism yourself or buy a ready-made lock mechanic?

Battery operated systems are often using small geared DC motors to open and close the lock, slower but lower current consumption than an electromagnet.

i was comparing between whether i should design my own lock using a servomotor or get a ready-made lock... its cheaper to build my own and it offers many many option while its faster to buy a ready-made lock and i think it's more convenient to use one however i couldn't find many options regarding the ready-made actuator and i can't find any online source!

- - - Updated - - -

I think solenoid actuators is what i am looking for ...

There is the apartment building entry lock which pulls back a bolt momentarily. Often you hear a loud buzzing while juice goes the solenoid. When the buzzing stops, the bolt jumps back to locked position. Is that what you want?

Or, you can have a small motor spin a threaded rod. A nut travels along the threaded rod. The nut pushes and pulls a bolt. Everything stays in place when you shut off the motor. Is that what you want?

Reactions: HasHx

HasHx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thank you brad! i was looking for the second option, yet i found that solenoid actuators suits me best!

Most of the solenoid types (the buzzing ones although they are silent if run on DC) do not directly pull the locking bolt, that would take too much power. They work by using a quite small solenoid to release the back stop that the bolt pushes against. Mechanically it is simple and the force of holding the door/gate is still held by a strong but pivoting mechanism. All you have to do is make sure it only pivots at the right time.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back