Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to print a 3D configurator like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbert22

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

a Agency have built a 3D configurator like this for my Onlineshop. Now I want print the configurator in 3D. Is that possible. If yes, how I can realize that? Thanks.

It sounds as though you wish to get a three dimensional object. It can be done on a 3D printer. These are becoming popular now. The website has drawings that represent 3 dimensional objects. However a drawing is not necessarily sufficient data for creating a 3 dimensional object. You need to ask the agency if their configurator (or whatever they provide for you) is compatible with 3D printing. For example the data needs to contain information about objects that are not shown in the drawing, their placement, size, etc.

I have printed parts of my 2D Polar Plotter robot with a 3D printer. The parts have been drawn using Autocad (some of them) and others using Autodesk Inventor. After you draw a solid figure and extrude it, you will have to save it as a .stl file for most 3D printers.
Here is a youtube video which shows the process from drawing something with Autocad and take it to the 3D printer.
The answer to your question is yes (I think, I am not a design engineer) but it depends on how good you are with drawing tools like Autocad, Inventor etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you may want to take a look to the https://www.thingiverse.com/ where people show their printed objects and you have them in .stl ready to be printed. You can take advantage of that by converting a .stl to .dwg file (autocad uses .dwg files) and modify it as you want. It is faster to modify an already existing drawing that starting from scratch... if you find something more or less that suits your needs, just adapt it to fulfil your needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an Aston Martin Vanquis V12 from the thingiverse.com **broken link removed**

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.