Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

L vs IF antenna, which to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgib8

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to pick a PCB trace antenna.

From my understanding, the only advantage of the inverted F over an L antenna is that the inverted F antenna can be matched by choosing the feed point.
Either way I was going to use a pie matching network, so given this fact is there still any advantage to choosing the inverted F antenna?

Let me add what my understanding is and put forth some assumption(s), so someone can tell me if I'm wrong.
how3.png

Looking at point B from the feedline, to the left (C) is a overall capacitive load (parallel to ground i guess) and to the right (A) is an overall inductive load (parallel to ground i guess). By moving the feed point, one can do a decent amount of impedance matching without requiring extra components. I bet that a perfectly designed antenna will be matched to 50 Ohm without requiring any matching components. The manufacturer would save up to two components on the board, thus safe cost. I almost want to assume that this is the only reason to use the inverted F style.

In my case, I don't care about the cost. If segment A represents nothing other than a parallel inductor to ground, then I propose the second picture that has this stub removed and instead has an equivalent parallel discrete inductor to ground.
I'm a little hesitant to assume that the 2nd picture is better. On the one hand the actual antenna becomes physically larger but on the other hand I wonder if the inductor through some mechanism that I don't know about loses energy, that would otherwise be radiated via the stub (A).

Something makes me wonder if there is some other benefit to the inverted F antenna aside from saving on matching components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back