Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ubuntu project in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

RETGT

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am thinking to build ubuntu project like photo sharing ..
please suggest where to start what to do?

It is rather straight forward:

1. Decide where the photos will be stored;

2. Decide how you will provide access;

3. Do you want to charge people for access; look then for free access control modules (you will need to compile them in your project)

4. In the simplest form, just store your photos in some directory in your computer (server) and give apache http access to this file for read only.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

3. Do you want to charge people for access; look then for free access control modules (you will need to compile them in your project)

4. In the simplest form, just store your photos in some directory in your computer (server) and give apache http access to this file for read only.

the photo will be stored in my hardisk
what is apaches?

- - - Updated - - -

the photo will be stored in my hardisk
what is apaches?

...there are alternatives....

Of course yes. But I mostly suggest young people to install LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) that can be more or less an independent system. Lots of fancy programming can be done with this minimal system. If some one else is willing to provide you a hook, you can request them to put a link to your directory. But you cannot do much with that...

RETGT

Sir what to do of it how it work?...

If you are using ubuntu, just install apache by issuing the command: sudo apt-get install apache and type Y when asked for confirmation.

RETGT

Before you do, make sure your internet provider allows you to host a file sharing service. Because of the high levels of traffic it might produce, some providers prohibit it or charge extra for the service. Also bear in mind that if you intend this to work 24/7 you have to run your computer and modem all the time and it will restrict the remaining bandwidth you have for other uses.

Brian.

If you are using ubuntu, just install apache by issuing the command: sudo apt-get install apache and type Y when asked for confirmation.
ok sir.

Before you do, make sure your internet provider allows you to host a file sharing service. Because of the high levels of traffic it might produce, some providers prohibit it or charge extra for the service. Also bear in mind that if you intend this to work 24/7 you have to run your computer and modem all the time and it will restrict the remaining bandwidth you have for other uses.

Brian.
what is file sharing i have listen it first time.

- - - Updated - - -

apache.pnghello,
showing error

what is file sharing i have listen it first time.
You wanted to build a project for photo sharing. The photos are files so you would be file sharing.

What you are asking for is a method of making some of the files on your computer accessible to other people. Apache (or LAMP which includes it) is probably the most commonly used program for doing that. You put your photos in a folder and tell Apache to make the folder available to the internet so other people can see the files in much the same way as you do from your own keyboard.

To run Apache you will need a database and PHP functionality as well. The easiest way to install them is as a single package from this web address:
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

The installer instructions and information on how to configure it are included in the package. Note that this is different from one installation to another so you need to customize it for your own needs, Edaboard isn't the place to ask about specific installations. You can check if it works by logging in to it with a different computer and looking for a list of your photos then trying to download one of them.

Brian.

apachea.png
ou wanted to build a project for photo sharing. The photos are files so you would be file sharing.

What you are asking for is a method of making some of the files on your computer accessible to other people. Apache (or LAMP which includes it) is probably the most commonly used program for doing that. You put your photos in a folder and tell Apache to make the folder available to the internet so other people can see the files in much the same way as you do from your own keyboard.

To run Apache you will need a database and PHP functionality as well. The easiest way to install them is as a single package from this web address:
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

Hello,
Sir i have downloaded the file what to do next?

start.pnghello,
I have install from this, what to do next?

Again, at risk of stating the obvious, click on "Get Started".

I did warn you there would be quite a lot of configuring to do and it would be specific to your own system and files. Apache 'maps' your files to a public address and lets you write HTML (or PHP) pages so other people can access them. It makes the folders you specify look like a web site to someone else on the internet.

If I remember XAMPP, it's a long time since I used it, the set up pages allow you to test they work before going on line.

Brian.

Again, at risk of stating the obvious, click on "Get Started".

I did warn you there would be quite a lot of configuring to do and it would be specific to your own system and files. Apache 'maps' your files to a public address and lets you write HTML (or PHP) pages so other people can access them. It makes the folders you specify look like a web site to someone else on the internet.
Hello,
i have installed how to use it i mean open and make pages?

You don't use the program yourself, you just configure it and let it run. The idea is it makes a folder on your computer appear to be a web page to someone else. For example, they type **broken link removed** in their web browser and they see the web pages and files in your folder. If you don't want to create web pages they can use FTP instead but all they will get is a file listing, it will not have graphics or anything 'clickable'.

If you want it to look like a web page you have to prepare the page using a language called HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) and possibly include sections of code written in PHP, AJAX or ASP.

The other thing you have to do is 'port forward' your internal IP address so it maps to an external one. You normally do that by configuring your modem or router, giving it a port number to use as the gateway. You can find your internal IP address by clicking on the network icon in the top menu bar, it will probably be 192.168.0.xxx where xxx is a number given by the DHCP program in your modem/router. What you then need is your external IP address, the one given you by your ISP. The final step is configure the port forwarding so an unused external IP port value is mapped to your internal IP address. I cam give you exact instructions on how to port forward because it is different for each model of modem/router.

Brian.

You don't use the program yourself, you just configure it and let it run. The idea is it makes a folder on your computer appear to be a web page to someone else. For example, they type www.aaa.bbb.ccc in their web browser and they see the web pages and files in your folder. If you don't want to create web pages they can use FTP instead but all they will get is a file listing, it will not have graphics or anything 'clickable'.

How to configure please tell in step sir

Status
Not open for further replies.