Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] interfacing Artix 7 for image processing algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafimiet

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on image compression algorithm on VHDL and I have written a code for the same. The code is synthesize-able and simulate-able. The simulation results seem to me just fine.

Now I have a few difficulties:

1. I have to verify it in real-time and I have Artix-7 FPGA board (Digilant).

2. I don't know how to provide to it real-time image data; what are the different methods and related hardware?

3. How to display the output; different methods and hardware involved?

4. How to interface the same?

It will be very appreciable if anyone answers.

Regards
Mohammad Rafi

Your question will require a very long answer
But first,
Does your board have external memory?
If it has one, learn first how to interface with it and store data there and read it back.
If it does not have, check what the available memory size of the FPGA chip is.

After that, how big is your source image size? is is small enough to be stored in the internal memory of the FPGA in case you don't have an external memory?

Your board should any way of communication to the PC. Assuming that the image is stored on the PC, learn how to interface the board with the PC and send/receive data.

In case your board has sdcard, learn how to interface with the sdcard to load the image or store the compressed one there.

Assuming that you did all of this and could successfully compress the image, you want to display the output. You should know that you cannot display a "compressded" picture. You will have to decompress it first. After that, if your board has a VGA interface, learn how to use that interface. This interface will need its image buffer to store the image that will be displayed on the screen.

It has BRAM, not any other external memory. But the BRAM is sufficient for storing a smaller image. And I know, how to read and write it.
I don't want to use a PC but something like a camera. But I want to know what cameras should I use. And it is obvious I am decompressing the image before sending to output.
I want to know which hardware parts can I attach to the board?

All the questions you have asked in #3 depends on the product spec.

But I want to know what cameras should I use.
You might want to use a cheap USB enable cam, then you need to utilize the USB i/f for getting the data/image.

I want to know which hardware parts can I attach to the board?
Artix 7 has a variety of interfaces. For direct display you can use the HDMI i/f, for storage to some other place, like to a PC, you can use an UART conn, or sent it out via Ethernet(for big images).

Status
Not open for further replies.