Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused between 2 terminals of Triac

Status
Not open for further replies.

burrow

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai , iam building a AC dimmer circuit using Triac, When going through all the available circuits online, iam confused between 2 forms..

In some of the Circuit, the input AC Line is fed to Main terminal 2 of the Triac and in some other circuits Load is connected to main terminal 2 and Ac line is connected to terminal 1.

Which is the best possible result??

circuit 1.jpgcircuit 2.jpg

Both circuits have the opto triac between A2 and G, in so far, they are connecting the triac in the same way. Circuit 2 has an additional filter suppressing fast pulses that might trigger the opto triac.

Both circuits have the opto triac between A2 and G, in so far, they are connecting the triac in the same way. Circuit 2 has an additional filter suppressing fast pulses that might trigger the opto triac.

Oh,, i guess iam missing some knowledge here, Iam new to Triacs and analog circuit. But what confused me is in the diagrams above in the first one Load is connected to top part and input line is connected to bottom,, but in the next circuit it is vice versa.

I see, I didn't pay attention to this point. It doesn't actually matter with an isolated trigger circuit. Triac is a bidirectional switch, either A1 or A2 can be connected to the input side.

Reactions: Rame

Rame

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I see, I didn't pay attention to this point. It doesn't actually matter with an isolated trigger circuit. Triac is a bidirectional switch, either A1 or A2 can be connected to the input side.

Yeah i read the same thing.. But i was learning more about triacs and somewhere i read that the order we choose plays a big role, And that the firing has to come from source connected to terminal 2.
is there something like that ?

Hi,

when you read about triac firing you may find the phrase "quadrant".

With the given circuits you are in quadrant I and III.

There are triacs that need different drive current in different quadrants.
And there are triac not able to trigger in all quadrants.

--> You have to check datasheets individually.

Klaus

Hi,

when you read about triac firing you may find the phrase "quadrant".

With the given circuits you are in quadrant I and III.

There are triacs that need different drive current in different quadrants.
And there are triac not able to trigger in all quadrants.

--> You have to check datasheets individually.

Klaus
i am using a Triac Called BT138-600E.. let me check its datasheet

- - - Updated - - -

It says it triggers in all 4 qudarants.. So iam good to go with any of the above circuit ?

Any triac can trigger in quadrant I and III, G-A1 voltage has same polarity as A2-A1. AC trigger circuits with opto triacs will always work.

The problem is only for quadrant IV, positive gate voltage and negative A2 voltage, which isn't supported by all triac types.

You can use any on of terminal as incoming and another one as outgoing. Main specialty of TRIAC is bidirectional current flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back