Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is application of LINUX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this program:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
I would recommend you use a USB stick with at least 4Gb capacity even though the image is much smaller than that. Booting from USB will let you try it out but if you want to install it, be careful to install to the hard disk and not back to the USB stick!

Brian.

Reactions: RETGT

RETGT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
where is download link?

Ritesh kakkar

You need to burn this image in the USB and select the bootable option. There are several software and you select what you want. Remember to copy in the image mode and select the bootable option and also keep some area on the USB for temp use (if you want to try it out like a liveCD).

And then use this USB and boot from this USB (select on the boot menu when restarting)

RETGT

hello sir
i have download and install https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

what to do next??
:?:
rk.jpg

Do not use the file you show in the top window, the one you use is a single file ending in '.img' . The ones you are showing are the files inside the .img file.

I will explain:
The '.img' file (the one you downloaded) is like a snapshot of a complete disk, including all the partitions, directories and file structure. When you write it to the USB stick it becomes an exact duplicate of the img file itself.

What you are showing in your picture is a list of the files Windows has extracted from it, you can't use these as they are because if you copy them to the USB stick it will place them one after another and create a new directory for them. It is essential the original places saved in the .img are kept as they are.

It should look like this, the file name should be the one you downloaded and the 'device' should be your USB stick:

Then all you do is click on 'write' and wait for it to finish.

Brian.

The file i download is winrar file after extracting i get this..

ritesh bbb.jpgritesh b.jpg

As I stated, DO NOT EXTRACT THE FILES FROM THE .ISO YOU DOWNLOADED.

It is not a winrar file, ignore anything Windows tells you about it, you are experiencing one of the reasons why many of us do not use Windows any more!

Just do this:

1. Make sure the drive letter for your USB stick is set here.
2. Click on the blue folder icon.
3. Enter the name of the .iso file here. Select it by clicking it's name or type it in manually. "ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64(1)"
4. click the Write button.

Note that the latest version of Ubuntu is 16.10, the one you have downloaded is not the latest release so you can either download the latest one and use that instead or you can install the one you have and update it to the latest version afterwards.

Brian.

The file i download is winrar file after extracting i get this..

No, the file you downloaded is one file, with an extension of .iso or .img. You must not try to expand, unzip, unrar or anything with that. It is a CD disk image and contains all required files to install or try linux.

here i have done 8gb sony usb stick.ritesh usb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

what to do after this?

- - - Updated - - -

ritesh boot.jpg

in usb stick...

Your copy is unusable. It will not work and you need to reformat the USB and transfer the .iso image to the USB stick and also check the bootable flag or checkbox. Whatever program you are using for making the usbboot, look for transfering an image file.

please tell me in step i have never boot the pc..

First step first: you need to transfer the image file you have downloaded to the USB stick and also make the USB stick bootable.

I do not know what software you are using to transfer the image file to the USB stick. Use some software similar (you can also download the same) as suggested in #28 or #26. What is the windows version you are currently using?

Once this has been done correctly; you can show the file contents in the USB stick like you have done in #30.

Next set your PC to boot from USB drive- this can be done from the boot setup menu of the PC (press F2 or DEL when the computer is restarting)

Insert the USB stick into the PC and reboot the PC. It should now boot from the USB stick and some options will come on the screen.

Please try these steps systematically because there is no other way.

RETGT

This is what I see if I run Windows with an Ubuntu 16.10 disk inserted in a DVD drive, yours is version 16.04 in a USB socket but it should look almost identical.

So clearly something is wrong with your original .iso file or you made the image incorrectly.
Please try downloading Ubuntu from the official source: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop again so you know you have a real copy.

Reformat your USB stick make sure the size after formatting is the size of your stick. It is possible to hide partitions on a stick which are invisible to Windows but use up some of the space and make it unavailable. You want all the space to be available, Ubuntu will partition it automatically during the install.

When you have done that, boot the computer from the USB stick. Remember that Linux is not a program, you don't select it in Windows and run it like you normally do, it is a complete alternative to Windows and does not need Windows to even be on your computer at all. You certainly have booted your computer before, you do it every time you turn it on. Booting is the process where the computers hardware searches for and loads the operating system then transfers control to it. On your present computer, when you switch it on, the hardware finds your hard disk, looks for an OS and finds Windows, it loads Windows (part of it) to the computer memory then runs it. What you have to do is tell it to look in another place for the OS, your USB stick. There it will find Linux OS and load that instead. Normally, your computers hardware will give you an option to boot from different devices if you press a key just after switching on, the key is different from one computer to another but F2, F12 or the Delete key are the ones usually used. Look for a message flashing up on your screen for just a few seconds after switching on, it will tell you which key to press. Look carefully, the message may only flash up very quickly!

Brian.

So clearly something is wrong with your original .iso file or you made the image incorrectly.
Please try downloading Ubuntu from the official source: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop again so you know you have a real copy.

Hii,
I have download the same file from link it is in my folder with zip
thanks
Ritesh kakkar

how to install Linux i am waiting to use it..

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop again so you know you have a real copy.

I have downloaded it is 1.4GB is this for you same?

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I see if I run Windows with an Ubuntu 16.10 disk inserted in a DVD drive, yours is version 16.04 in a USB socket but it should look almost identical.

Reformat your USB stick make sure the size after formatting is the size of your stick. It is possible to hide partitions on a stick which are invisible to Windows but use up some of the space and make it unavailable. You want all the space to be available, Ubuntu will partition it automatically during the install.

When you have done that, boot the computer from the USB stick. Remember that Linux is not a program, you don't select it in Windows and run it like you normally do, it is a complete alternative to Windows and does not need Windows to even be on your computer at all. You certainly have booted your computer before, you do it every time you turn it on. Booting is the process where the computers hardware searches for and loads the operating system then transfers control to it. On your present computer, when you switch it on, the hardware finds your hard disk, looks for an OS and finds Windows, it loads Windows (part of it) to the computer memory then runs it. What you have to do is tell it to look in another place for the OS, your USB stick. There it will find Linux OS and load that instead. Normally, your computers hardware will give you an option to boot from different devices if you press a key just after switching on, the key is different from one computer to another but F2, F12 or the Delete key are the ones usually used. Look for a message flashing up on your screen for just a few seconds after switching on, it will tell you which key to press. Look carefully, the message may only flash up very quickly!

Brian.

the file i extracted is same as yours then what is problem?

I don't think there is a problem, it is just that you don't seem to want to use the file!

All you have to do is copy the .img file to the USB stick and boot from it. There is nothing more to do. The computer will start up in Linux.

You seem to be confusing Linux with an application program, you don't click on it and run it, Linux is the operating system itself. You can run it on a computer that has never had Windows on it at all. Several computers here have never had anything but Linux on them. When you boot from it, you will be given the option to install it or 'try' it. The 'try' will run it without installing anything so you can see it's capability but it will run VERY slowly compared to installing it because it loads everything from the USB stick which is much slower than from a hard disk. If you install it, it will ask: do you want to replace Windows or install Linux along side it. If you choose to replace Windows it will remove Windows and all your programs completely and irreversibly so use that option with extreme caution. If you say you want to install side by side with Windows, it will ask how much of the hard disk you want it to claim for itself then install Linux in that region while Leaving Windows alone.

As I have tried to explain, the .img file is NOT a folder or a compressed file like a .zip or .rar, it is a complete file structure, including necessary partitions and gaps between files and it also has the bootloader files which are normally hidden from you. If you copy the .img file to the USB stick you get an exact copy of it in the USB memory, including all the hidden bits. You must use a special imaging program like "win32diskimager" to do that. If you extract and copy the individual files you lose the structure and hidden files, it may look OK but much of it will be missing and you will not be able to boot from it.

When you manage to boot from the USB stick you will see a complete OS with it's own menus and applications. The version you downloaded includes Firefox the Web browser, Thunderbird for email, the complete Libre Office suite for word processing and spreadsheets, wireless and wired networking and lots of programming tools.

Brian.

All you have to do is copy the .img file to the USB stick and boot from it. There is nothing more to do. The computer will start up in Linux.
hello,
i found this after searching .img file is this file we need to write in usb stick???
boot .jpg

i found this after searching .img file is this file we need to write in usb stick???

Yes. You must NOT copy this file; this is an image file and you need to use some software to transfer this image to the pen drive. Also ensure that the pen drive is bootable.

In BIOS of your PC, select boot from the pen drive. (it will be under some boot menu). Then you can put the pen drive in the USB slot and restart your PC.

Can any moderator please unsubscribe me from this thread?
I don't want to see the reply notification everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.