Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power conditioner or UPS - which more suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamkeim

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am little confused. I was looking for a power backup option for my studio to protect the devices and systems. I was looking to purchase one UPS system like this https://www.staticon.ca/product-detail/stativolt-inverter-ups-systems . But somebody told me that power conditioners would be more appropriate for such studios. I don't know about the differences between this two. Can somebody help me?

A UPS provides power for a few minutes when a blackout hits. It contains batteries. They need replacing every few years regardless how much you use the UPS.

An inexpensive conditioner might contain spike absorbers, surge protectors, filters, etc.

Do you often have a momentary loss of power, say for 1/10 second? The kind that causes your equipment to reset itself for no apparent reason? In that case you might find a more expensive type of conditioner that has internal circuitry, to store electrical energy without batteries, then to supply it long enough so that your equipment continues to operate through brief dropouts.

This website turned up via internet search:

https://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-lounge/12959-power-conditioners-vs-ups.html

Contact the UPS supplier and ask them if their product aslo contains the filtering etc. It looks like it does have some.
OR they may have an add on that can be integrated into the UPS so that you have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.