Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1HP motor for stewart platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

agreatstar

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to use 6 1HP motors for stewart platform for a payload mass of 800kgs. I am curious to know what is the difference between the Lenze/Varvel motors and 1HP motors used as for pumping water as there is a 10x difference in price. Can I use 1HP water pump motor for my application?

These might be factors to consider:

* How does the motor act with no load? Most motors run faster. Will this cause the light end of your platform to rise more quickly than the heavy end of the platform?

* How does the motor act when stalled by an unmovable load? How much current does it draw? Can motor survive? Can this happen with your platform?

* What amount of surge current does the motor draw at startup? Could either type of motor create a problem in this area?

* If the above factors create a problem, then can either type of motor be regulated to fix the problem?

The output of the 6 motors must be sync'ed; I guess they are driving the same load at different ends.

You need to analyze what happens if one fails; does that induce a catastrophe?

there are too many types of motors to generalize, you are comparing, but certainly VFD's cost more with variable frequency drive and you get controlled high torque at a wide range of synchronous speeds without gear reduction.

Cheaper motors may not have servo speed control, but may have variable speed depending on load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back