Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Bee with u-blox Neo 6M seeing sats, but no fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordz60

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day to all,

Firstly, I want to apologize if I'm writting in the wrong forum. :oops:

Now, on to the business. I have bought a GPS Bee kit (a u-blox Neo 6M gps module in a XBee compatible board) and I'm having a huge headache thanks to it (photos of the module are in the attachments).
The problem is that it appears to "see" satellites, but never gets a fix. Right now I'm using it with PL2303 USB - TTL UART converter (see attachments), connecting them like so:
Converter - GPS
RX - TX
TX - RX
3v3 - 3v3
GND - GND

I'm completely sure that there is no wiring problem. I have 3 modules like this and all of them have the same problem. I'm using u-center software to see what the gps receiver sends to the converter. The gps usually "sees" 1-3 satellites for several seconds. The strings output repeats over and over in the same pattern which is giving no information (see attachments).

I have googled, watched videos, read forums for several days now and I'm at a loss.

Things I've tried:
1. Going outside to get as much open sky as possible (for at least 3 hours);
2. Connecting it to Arduino, uploading a working and tested program to get the same result (see attachments);
3. Changing the baud rate (even though I'm completely sure now that this gps uses 9600 baud);
4. Switching connecting Rx to Rx and Tx to Tx achieves nothing, the receiver doesn't even communicate with the converter (the receive LED doesn't flash when connected like that);
5. Trying 3-4 other gps programs which show the same result (satellites appear for a moment and disappear, same empty strings);
6. Doing everything i could find that other people did (going through settings, modifying them, tinkering with the firmware etc.)

That's some of the things I've tried. ALL and ANY advice is welcome. Thanks for taking your time to read/answer. :)

P.S. I would have bought other gps module, but these are the only ones they've got in our country (Lithuania) and I have just 2 more weeks to complete my work, so ordering other gps units from abroad is out of question. :|

Attachments

• PL2303.jpg
    PL2303.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.png
    2.png
    281.7 KB · Views: 107
  • nofix2.png
    nofix2.png
    533.5 KB · Views: 94
  • nofix9600.png
    nofix9600.png
    542.8 KB · Views: 89
  • gpsbee1_01.jpg
    gpsbee1_01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 84
  • gps-bee-kit-sen133d1p.jpg
    gps-bee-kit-sen133d1p.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 95

EDIT:
My patience has ended and I went to buy an original u-blox neo 6m module, which has EEPROM memory and a much larger antenna. It works a treat, so it must be something wrong with GPS Bee antennae, I'll keep you updated if I figure anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back