Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting 3db power gain vhdl (using unsigned lib)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahdirs

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to calculate 3db power gain. The file uses unsigned library & i cannot change/add signed library as the file is being used by others as well.

I have the power values of the current frame & previous frame (s_power & s_power_d1). The power value is such that (actual value -> -3db, value in vhdl -> +30 ).

So, i have written it as

Code VHDL - [expand]
if( (s_power - s_power_d1) >= 30) then
 ch_3db_gain <= '1';
else
 ch_3db_gain <= '0';
end if;

But the above code makes ch_3db_gain as '1' at both rising edge (eg: s_power = 60, s_power_d1 = 25 ) & falling edge (eg: s_power = 25 & s_power_d1 = 60). This is because of the unsigned library that is being used. How can i detect it only at rising edge ?

I've thought of modifying it in the following way but not sure if it will work. Will have to check in simulation.

Code VHDL - [expand]
if( (s_power > s_power_d1) and (s_power - s_power_d1) >= 30) then
 ch_3db_gain <= '1';
else
 ch_3db_gain <= '0';
end if;

Last edited:

I need to calculate 3db power gain. The file uses unsigned library & i cannot change/add signed library as the file is being used by others as well.
Sounds confused. Why don't you use ieee.numeric_std library and regular signed data type (or may be ieee.std_logic_arith if you have a passion for outdated VHDL)?

Nevertheless your code should work if the numbers are guaranteed to be positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.