Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPLD programming error

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishna_2512

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All
I am using Quartus 8.0 and USB blaster ver3 for program/configure CPLD MAX3512AFI256-10. Earlier i programmed this device on my boards with lot of difficulty. But now i want to reprogram, so clicked program/configure, after 98% gives error, "Can't verify device number 1",öperation failed. This problem is with all boards. Now working boards are unusable, as i could not reprogram. This problem is with a batch of components. Earlier i bought i did not face any problem. Kindly suggest how to reprogram, to make them usable boards.
Thanks

Presume you are talking about EPM3512A.

I understand that the JTAG chain is basically working, otherwise you would get different errors. I didn't work with MAX3 family since 10 years or so, but I guess, "can't verify" will happen if you set the security bit in the design. It should be functional nevertheless.

Another possible trap door of MAX3 family is that the JTAG interface can be disabled to use the JTAG pins as user IO. The device can be then reprogrammed only with a parallel programmer. Should give a JTAG chain error however.

In my design security bit is not set and even i kept the option clicked to use JTAG pins for BST support. The same .pof i am able to download in the other batch of CPLDs. This particular batch is creating trouble. Initially i could program with some difficulty by erasing then examine and then by trying program/configure, in this way when i tried some 2-3 times i could program but then in between i again wanted to reprogram, but was not happening then a added as suggested in one of the literature to use 1k in between TCk and GND, 10K in between TMS to VCC and TDI(optional) 10K to VCC. I tried i could program but now this also is not working, This problem i am facing on all boards which is having this particular batch of components.

Dear All
I am using Quartus 8.0 and USB blaster ver3 for program/configure CPLD MAX3512AFI256-10. Earlier i programmed this device on my boards with lot of difficulty. But now i want to reprogram, so clicked program/configure, after 98% gives error, "Can't verify device number 1",öperation failed. This problem is with all boards. Now working boards are unusable, as i could not reprogram. This problem is with a batch of components. Earlier i bought i did not face any problem. Kindly suggest how to reprogram, to make them usable boards.
Thanks

O.K., no security bit set, CPLD could be programmed initially.

Is your USB Blaster still working with other boards? Is the supply voltage in range? My first guess is damaged CPLD, or a faked chip.

I would try with a different programming adapter, e.g. old Byte Blaster, just in case.

O.K., no security bit set, CPLD could be programmed initially.

Is your USB Blaster still working with other boards? Is the supply voltage in range? My first guess is damaged CPLD, or a faked chip.

I would try with a different programming adapter, e.g. old Byte Blaster, just in case.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I tried with other adapters, even i tried with my adapter on different old batch chip, it worked.
Only these chip lots are showing me hell. But these components i got from proprietary firm direct from Altera, but they are also taking a lot time to reply.
I am able to examine, blank check, erase, only program/configure is going upto 98% then error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back