Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where should ı get the power for BMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derun93

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am making a battery managment system for li-ion batteries. I have a question about power. To work the microcontroller and current sense IC , ı need power so where should ı get that? Usb, power plug or something else?
Thank you.

Hi,

I´d use the batteries.

And i´d make different operating states:
* active: during charge/discharge = normal operation
* low power: when battery current is below the self discharge current = (maybe storage, unused, disconnected...)
* power down: when battery voltage drops below the critical discharge voltage to a void deep discharge.

Klaus

Hi Mr.Klaus,
If ı use batteries, how can I keep voltage constant? for example I am using msp430g2553 micro controller whose supply voltage is 3.3V, I need 3.3 dc voltage constantly but the battery voltages increases or decreases accorrding to charge or discharge operation.
Thank you.

Hi,

There are voltage regulators, they generate a constant output voltage.

What voltage, Ah, chemistry is your battery?

Klaus

1.250 mAh 25C li-ion batteries sir. Right now, ı am just making BMS as a prototype so there are only 2 cells in series but after I will use 7 cells.

Hi,

You didn't tell voltage.

But two cells in series or 7 cells in series give enough voltage so supply a microcontroller.
For a standard voltage regulator you need at least 2V more at the input than at the output.

There are low dropout voltage regulators, they need only some 100mV more at the input.

Klaus

I am sorry to miss to tell voltages. 4.2V (full charged) - 2.7V (fully discharged)
I am new at this, if ı tell something silly , please warn me. So if assume that ı use 2 two batteries, and if ı need 3.3v and 5 V , you suggest me to use lowdropout voltage regulators right? Can you tell me the your favourite LDO regulator for this issue?
Thank you sir for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back