Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relationship of microstrip width and length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antenna94

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

This must be a pretty basic question, but I couldn't find the answer yet. Can a microstrip line's width be larger than its length? I am currently designing some LPFs and this problem came up.
Thank you for your answers! :)

Yes, it can. Microstrips like this are used in amplifiers all the time (outputs usually have a very low output impedance). If the geometry bothers you, you might try different types of filters, or orders. What is your design frequency?

It is a 3dB ripple Chebyshev low-pass filter with cut-off frequency of 6GHz for the output of a 4GHz oscillator. It doesn't bother me, but I worried that if a line is shorter than its width doesn't work as a transmission line. (I think I recall from my electromagnetic theory course that if length>>width isn't true then general field modelling must be used instead of the transmission line model.)

3dB is a lot of ripple. Is the oscillator a single freq, or is it a VCO? If it is a single freq, then 6GHz is probably too far out for the corner.

Have you simulated the resulting filter?

Yes, I realized meanwhile that it is not that good (I designed some filters previously for other uses and was just adjusting the frequency as a first approximation), but a Butterworth filter works fine now and also holds the l>>w relationship. :) Thank you for your insight!

if width is greater than length , still it acts as a transmission line. a patch antenna design is one example, for a rectangular patch width>length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back