Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using generics in VHDL modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binome

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm used to use generics in many VHDL modules but someone told me it's not advisable for big projects.
I don't understand why. I thought generics were to be used every time to make the modules reusable in many projects.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.

Hi,
I'm used to use generics in many VHDL modules but someone told me it's not advisable for big projects.
I don't understand why. I thought generics were to be used every time to make the modules reusable in many projects.
What is your opinion?
There is absolutely no reason to not use generics regardless of project size. When someone makes such a strange statement it is usually a good idea to ask 'Why?' and, in this case, what is the definition of 'big'.

Kevin Jennings

Reactions: Binome and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Binome

someone told me it's not advisable for big projects.
That's an un-contexted vague and overgeneralized statement.

Generics give you the means to configure and parameterize your code - regardless of project size.
Sometimes it's suitable to use them and other times it makes little sense.

For example, hardware like PLLs / CPUs / FIFOs / DDR controllers - have many configurable parameters and will benefit a lot from the use of generics.
On the other hand - a VERY specialized, one time design that has been tailored with precise values that aren't expected to change) will benefit less.

Reactions: Binome

Binome

It's what I thought: generics are to be used without any risk. I'm going on with it.
Thank you both.

Generics are fine. The main issues are that they are not cross-language and a larger module may have a large number of untested configurations, and possible issues with some build flows.

Basically, VHDL allows more complex generics/ports that don't translate into Verilog. If the code is used in a mixed environment, the ports/generics should make sense for both VHDL/Verilog.

The second is an issue because often it will seem like a problem can be solved simply by incrementing a generic. If the developer never tested for this, then you might uncover unexpected behavior. This is problematic if the developers do not add in assertions for valid configurations as well as valid ranges.

Finally, if the generics are part of a larger module but do not affect port sizes, it is possible to use a version of the netlist that has different generics than the HDL. (for me, I had a project with multiple large modules that were synthesized to netlists in a previous build step. That build step set the generics for the core based on info in a makefile. The port sizes were the same. The result was a design where the implementation did not match the RTL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.