Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi-core simulation in Modelsim

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustinoff

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.

Imagine i have multi-core CPU (2 or 4, nevermind). Can i use all cores to accelerate a simulation in Modelsim?

No. Its only single threaded.
But AFIK, you can run Modelsim multiple times and each would run on a different core. This way, you'll be able to run multiple simulations at the same time.

That will work - just make sure you have plenty of ram and a decent disk!

And a lot of understanding co-workers that won't get upset when you are hogging all the licenses ;-)

I want to accelerate Modelsim's work speed, do not simulate a few models at the same time.

Using a faster machine, is the only way to do that.

Does it have "student edition" like Modelsim?

Questa has traditionally been the top level simulator that is the most expensive - but Im sure Ive seen things recently that they are trying to rebrand all modelsim under the questa name - so maybe?

Hello everyone.

Imagine i have multi-core CPU (2 or 4, nevermind). Can i use all cores to accelerate a simulation in Modelsim?

I think that the key aspect to consider in HDL simulation is the parallelism of the application or more exactly lack thereof - parallelism.

A machine that runs at speed X (assuming speed X is possible and peripheral resources such as memory are abundant) will ALWAYS have higher performance then N machines running together at speed X / N.
The less parallelism the problem exhibits - the bigger will be the performance edge to the faster machine.

Does it have "student edition" like Modelsim?

Questa has traditionally been the top level simulator that is the most expensive - but I'm sure Ive seen things recently that they are trying to rebrand all modelsim under the questa name - so maybe?
No. Modelsim remains as the student and entry level products.

No. Modelsim remains as the student and entry level products.

I do not know can i ask here but today i get a problem with Modelsim. I use "student version" Modelsim 10.3d for Altera Quartus II, and today (after a half of year!) i get error 211.

Can someone tell how i can fix it?

That means Modelsim crashed. And from the messages it looks like it ran out of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.