Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Input Interfacing to PIC Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangeo

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai all Now i am designing Annunciation system so i need to interface 42 input signals ( 5 volt inputs) to my PIC IC. So How can i connect this much inputs to PIC Any decoder/ encoder is available ? or any other methods ? Have anybody circuit diagram for the same
Please Help me...

Thanks
Saneesh George

Microchip I2C Port Expanders interfaced to PIC I2C Bus.

Reactions: sangeo

sangeo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi sangeo,

the PIC IO-extender offers 16 IOs per package and three can operate on the I2C or SPI bus( https://www.digikey.com/en/articles...anders-offer-flexibility-in-mcu-based-designs ). If you use the 8 bit wide 74HC165 you need to decode the I2C/SPI bus and select the in series connected six HC165. Than 6x8 bit clock cycles are needed to read out the 48 inputs. In any case you need to think about input protection and make sure that no input is floating(best is to use a pull-up and a resitor in series). Maybe also clamping diodes if you have overvoltage swing on the incoming signals!

Enjoy your design worl!

Reactions: sangeo

sangeo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Okk Thanks Mr.HTA , Mr.pic.programmer and Easyrider83

Now i am learning about to 74165 and its interfacing

Thanks to all.

Cypress and NXP have 40 and 60 bit I2C port expanders if you want to go that route.

40bit:
PCA9505
CY8C9540A

60bit:
CY8C9560A

Status
Not open for further replies.