Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do a video scaler work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinoliu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
video scaler algorithm

Hi

how do a video scaler work?

Are there any video scalers diagram on the net ?

thanks

superresolution scaler

IanP said:
Good explenation on video scalers yoou can find here:
h**p://www.commspecial.com/deuceguide.htm#intelligent
So far I haven't come accross any detailed diagram of a video scaler ..

thank you for replying !

information on the url above is so little, i need more detailed info on video scaler!
a block diagram is a plus to me! anyone help me!

video scaler block diagram

Hi,
You did not mention the platform on which you are working. But as i am working on the video scaling and super resolution on PC and DSP based solution i will recommend you to first choose a proper video scaling filter and then proceed for further implementations.
Here are few papers on the video scaling...............
The first paper gives you a good realization of the Video Down scaling during a transcoding process.. You can get the good vision of the overall architecture and the optimzation flow of a video down-scaler.
The second paper is on the Scaling Video Conferencing through Spatial Tiling.
The third one is a thesis "Adaptive Content-Aware Scaling for Improved Video
Streaming" and you will get great ideas from these three pdf files..........
I recommend you to read the basic introductory chapters of the thesis report first and then we can have a discussion
Once you have decided your alogrithm then we can talk about its implementation issues.
Take care,
Sincerely,

do video scalers work?

hi swahlah!

i am woking on the asic ! I have already ,even more, the RTL code of sacler which don't work,but I have not any documents about codes on hand.there are so few commentaries in the code. Now, I don't know algorithm used by codes and block diagram to understand those code.So, i come here !

thank you again!

how do video scalers work

The scalar operation is 2D.
The normal architecture is performing horizontal and vertical interpolation seperately. For horizontal interpolation is just normal up-samlping method described in DSP book. The different are filter type(sinc, hamming window, etc..) and the taps of filter you choiced.
For veritical, the operation is the same. The different is you must keep some lines above and below the current line according the filter taps. This mean you must use ram as line buffer. For hw, the number of ram is the cost. It must be trade-off between cost and performace.

The filter can be non-adaptive or adaptive(changed acoording the context, like the edge appear...).

Regards,
Jarod

scaler asic implementation

About ur question ........ The papers that i have posted are very nice
and in case of ASIC you first design the architecture as per your requirements.
In asics you have to make more elaborated design .......... But simply you can make a video upscalar using a normal six tap to 8 tep filter you can design it by urself or just find in some research paper.........
Any filter is just a multiplier accumulater so you have to make a very fast MAC unit for your upscalar now how many pixels of image u wanna filter at a time is your own requirement.............
I will recommend u to first design the equation of your filter in matlab and then implement in hardware,
one example is a cubic spline interpolator.
Other is a simple six tap filter (1 -5 20 20 -5 1)/32 with a rounding of 16
Sincerely
SHAFIQUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back