Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What signals are used to configure a MAX V CPLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What signals on the MAX V CPLD are used to configure it? If a CPLD is going to be used in a project then does it also require the use of the USB-Blaster as a seperate tool to configure the CPLD? Do these signals or the way the CPLD is configured, differ from how this process is carried out using Cyclone FPGA?

The difference between Cyclone and MAX is that MAX stores the configuration in an internal flash memory. It has to be loaded once through JTAG, either in-circuit by a JTAG port or before assembling the device in a programming adapter.

Could you kindly me more specific about the name of this programmer? It seems that the task here shall require an in circuit programmer instead to ease the prototype development.

It appears that the MAX V uses an antiquated unavailable programmer that was parallel port based:
https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/hb/max-v/max5_handbook.pdf see page 7-12:

Programming and Reading the UFM with JTAG
In MAX V devices, you can write data to or read data from the UFM using the IEEE
Std. 1149.1 JTAG interface. You can use a PC or UNIX workstation, the Quartus II
Programmer
, or the ByteBlasterMVTM or ByteBlasterTM II parallel port download
cable to download Programmer Object File (.pof), JamTM Standard Test and
Programming Language (STAPL) Files (.jam), or Jam Byte-Code Files (.jbc) from the
Quartus II software targeting the MAX V device UFM block.

The current versions of ByteBlaster use USB/Ethernet and do not support MAX V devices (only II & 10).

You can probably purchase a clone or buy a generic JTAG programming tool that accepts one of the various file formats that the Quartus II tools can generate to program via the JTAG port.

It appears that the MAX V uses an antiquated unavailable programmer that was parallel port based.
No. You have quoted a passage about UFM (user flash memory ≠ configuration flash memory CFM) which has apparently slipped in from an antiquated document.

The recent information is also in the datasheet under ISP (in-system programming):
You can program MAX V devices by downloading the information through in-circuit testers, embedded processors, the Altera® ByteBlaster™ II, EthernetBlaster II, EthernetBlaster, and USB-Blaster™ cables.

In simple words, a JTAG interfaced Altera device can be programmed by any Altera or third party JTAG programmer.

Hmmm, the ByteBlaster page doesn't even show the MAX V device as compatible with the programmer.
Capture.JPG

That means the table is inaccurate or the device isn't supported, I don't have the tools installed or a MAX V device to verify either case.

OK, since I am going to need to buy a programmer why not buy the latest Byte Blaster II. As far as I understand from what I have seen, the Byte Blaster II is basically faster than the Byte Blaster I and in its user guide it says:

You can use the USB-Blaster II download cable to download configuration data to the
following Altera devices:
■ Stratix® series FPGAs
■ Cyclone® series FPGAs
■ MAX® series CPLDs
■ Arria® series FPGAs

Now while the user guide for this Byte Blaster II download cable exists. I am unable to find anywhere to buy this black box. Do you know how to get my hands on this thing?

A Byteblaster II compatible JTAG cable can be easily homemade, see e.g. https://www.edaboard.com/threads/9497/ or below appended design files.

Main disadvantage is that it needs a true LPT port which can't be found with many newer computers.

USB Blaster is much faster anyway, speed matters at least if you are configuring or debugging larger FPGAs, not particularly for MAX V.

These days USB Blaster clones can be bought around the corner for 10 or 15 $, making a Byteblaster could be still meaningful if you are cut off from these supply sources.

Attachments

• byteblaster2.gbr.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 65
  • byteblaster2 compatible schematic.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 113
Thank FvM, I think I have used the wrong words here. Altera has the following on their website:
ByteBlaster II Download Cable
USB-Blaster Download Cable
EthernetBlaster II Download Cable

I have a laptop which lacks parallel port so the information you have provided will not directly benefit me at this time. What I am looking for is the USB-Blaster II. I made a mistake when I said Byte Blaster II in my previous post. For some reason I had in my head that the device I am looking for is "USB-ByteBlaster II" but it is clear to me that no device with this specific name exists. While the Altera website lists the 3 devices I have mentioned above. However, there is also a USB-Blaster II available. I have found a user guide of it.

This is the userguide for USB-Blaster I:
https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr.pdf

This is the userguide for USB-Blaster II:
https://www.altera.com/en_US/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_II_cable.pdf

While the Altera website has the userguide for the USB-Blaster II, I can only buy USB-Blaster I through it. Since, the userguide of the latter device is dated October 2014, I would expect it to be available in the market. However, it does not seem to be the case as it is not available for sale on any website I have seen yet.

By the way, the Altera USB-Blaster I costs 300$ on the Altera website, this would be about 200£. Then, there is a similar looking device from Terasic called "Terasic Blaster". It is identical to the Altera USB Blaster but costs 50$ (about 33£) instead. Then you have mentioned "clones" of the USB blaster that cost even cheaper. I am confused, how can a product which does the same thing have so many forms and such varying price range?

OK, since I am going to need to buy a programmer why not buy the latest Byte Blaster II. As far as I understand from what I have seen, the Byte Blaster II is basically faster than the Byte Blaster I and in its user guide it says:

You can use the USB-Blaster II download cable to download configuration data to the
following Altera devices:
■ Stratix® series FPGAs
■ Cyclone® series FPGAs
■ MAX® series CPLDs
■ Arria® series FPGAs

Now while the user guide for this Byte Blaster II download cable exists. I am unable to find anywhere to buy this black box. Do you know how to get my hands on this thing?

If you are ready to wait a little bit, Chinese shopping sites offer really cheap USB blasters (below 5USD) [Aliexpress]. It may take up to 60 days to reach your location unless you choose express shipping options (DHL or FexEx - 5 to 8 days). Check ebay, amazon or similar online shopping sites (your country).
I have one of these clone and it works quite well with MAX II and Cyclone IV.

(I'm not providing direct link.)

USB Blaster II is the new Altera programmer, offering high speed USB and programmable JTAG speed. It has been first introduced as on-board adapter of Altera development kits and is now offered as a standalone cable.

As far as I'm aware of, there are no USB Blaster II clones presently available, but tons of USB Blaster I clones.

Original Altera cables are relative high priced since ever, if you want original Altera quality instead of a clone device, you can buy the 100 percent identical Terasic devices. I don't know if and when Terasic might offer a compatible USB Blaster II.

I also guess that USB Blaster II clones will be offered soon. Presently, some USB Blaster clones are already using a high speed USB microcontroller, but are stuck to the USB Blaster protocol and thus not necessarily faster than a standard USB Blaster.

OK, then I guess since the USB-Blaster II download cable is nowhere to be found and the Terasic-Blaster is identical to the Altera USB-Blaster I but costs only 1/6 of its price at 50$, I shall order the Terasic Blaster and be done with it. I shall check if it is compatible with Windows 8 and 10 first though.

Thanks adandpv and FvM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back