Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you find these footprints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antenna (^.^)

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new to pcb design, so footprints are a new concept to me.
So far I know that a footprint for a component is described by the packaging/case (e.g 0402 for a capacitor). But how about for things like switches and connectors?

Could anyone tell me what the footprints of the following components are?

Thanks!!

What software are you using? Every PCB design software have different names for their integrated components footprints, unfortunately.

You will have to look for them one by one (or using the "search" tool), modify one, or create your own ones.

I am using altium software but I can't find even what type of footprint these components have so I don't really know what name to look for under.. :-(

Hi,

If you don't have footprints in your software, you can create them add them to library. Their is some specific rule under IPC for naming. You can check that. or else you can put your own suitable footprint name.

The fundamental skill in any PCB design is creating footprints, you NEED to learn this, and actually in Altium it is usually very easy (You will come to hate the way some datasheets dimension things).

Seriously, I create my own footprints even for so say standard parts, D2PACK mosfets for example are highly variable even within a single manufacturer and a stock footprint is usually not optimum, but even 0603 passives vary more then you would expect.

Connectors, you tend to end up creating yourself, same for many switches, it is just part of the game.

For standard packages the IPC footprint wizard makes it easy, for connectors and weird things you just got to learn how to draw (for some rotary switches, and circular connectors, radial grids are your friend).

It is usually quicker to create a footprint then it is to post on a forum looking for one and then check that what you get is correct.

BTW: Those switches will fit in a DIP8 footprint, should be easy to create, and that pin header is a simple SIP part on a 0.1 inch grid, the horribly expensive BNC you will have to create.

Regards, Dan.

if you once create the footprint,you will find that creating footprint is very simple.
there are a lot of tutorial on the web ,so i suggest that you have better do it by youself,

Go to pcblibraries.com and download their free tool to make them.

Not that you should need it - these are simple footprints, take the time to learn to make them.

Not that you should need it - these are simple footprints, take the time to learn to make them.
When you get used to making your own footprints, it will be a much faster and less frustrating solution than spending unpredictable amounts of time to searching existing libraries for footprints.

This is a tool to help you make footprints that are compliant to IPC-7351, much better to learn and follow what is now pretty much the industry standard in footprint design, so you are not searching libraries but getting an application that will do a lot of the mundane work for you in designing PCB footprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back