Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software for data acquisition and display

Status
Not open for further replies.

swathibalan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! In need of a PC setup that reads data from an external microprocessor and displays that in real time. Like a low level DAQ. Which would be the most suitable software to be used on the PC side? Considering Matlab, Labview and the like. Software with GUI plugins are more convenient.

Hi! In need of a PC setup that reads data from an external microprocessor and displays that in real time. Like a low level DAQ. Which would be the most suitable software to be used on the PC side? Considering Matlab, Labview and the like. Software with GUI plugins are more convenient.

usb based data acq modules are the suitable one for displaying in PC.
writng code (in matlab / labview) will consume more time in displaying and making a gui.
the suggestion is based on the assumption that u have an application that u want to view in PC.
So better have a readymade usb based Data acq and concentrate on your application.

there are external devices which can acquire data via USB and have drivers which can be accessed from MATLAB, Labview, C++, C#, VB, etc

have a look at
https://uk.mathworks.com/videos/overview-data-acquisition-toolbox-68753.html

do a web search for matlab data acquisition - it will give you plenty of links

what data do you wish to acquire? e.g. analogue (sampling speed, number of bits, etc), digital, Canbus, etc?

usb based data acq modules are the suitable one for displaying in PC.
writng code (in matlab / labview) will consume more time in displaying and making a gui.
the suggestion is based on the assumption that u have an application that u want to view in PC.
So better have a readymade usb based Data acq and concentrate on your application.

I'm planning to make it wireless, which continuously relays the information to a computer. Depending on which software is suitable, I would then decide on the hardware part of the setup.

there are external devices which can acquire data via USB and have drivers which can be accessed from MATLAB, Labview, C++, C#, VB, etc

have a look at
https://uk.mathworks.com/videos/overview-data-acquisition-toolbox-68753.html

do a web search for matlab data acquisition - it will give you plenty of links

what data do you wish to acquire? e.g. analogue (sampling speed, number of bits, etc), digital, Canbus, etc?

I'm looking for a wireless solution. I will be getting real time values from analog sensors placed remotely along with with the wireless transmitter and would then get it displayed on the computer.

Matlab is pretty good but I'm looking for simpler ones as I don't need much of the processing power of Matlab. Somewhere, it was mentioned that Matlab was suitable to process large chunks of data but LabView was better at acquisition with its dedicated hardware.

I won't be using any of the proprietary acquisition boards. Just a custom micro controller setup. So the software I need should recognize that too.

I'm looking for a wireless solution. I will be getting real time values from analog sensors placed remotely along with with the wireless transmitter and would then get it displayed on the computer.

Matlab is pretty good but I'm looking for simpler ones as I don't need much of the processing power of Matlab. Somewhere, it was mentioned that Matlab was suitable to process large chunks of data but LabView was better at acquisition with its dedicated hardware.

I won't be using any of the proprietary acquisition boards. Just a custom micro controller setup. So the software I need should recognize that too.
if building your own PCB are you considering a local WiFi connection using TCP/IP, e.g. using a module such as Microchip's RN171?
https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=RN171

or a modem with a TCP/IP stack?

in either case you could implement your PC software in C, C++, C#, VB, etc as a UDP or TCP server

have a look at thread
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/332953/

Thanks! But I'm in need of transmitting data over a range of 2-3 km. If cheap options arent available, considering to go in for a Zigbee setup.

Right now, my question is on which software to use to process data obtained at the PC side and display it on the screen.

Thanks! But I'm in need of transmitting data over a range of 2-3 km. If cheap options arent available, considering to go in for a Zigbee setup.

Right now, my question is on which software to use to process data obtained at the PC side and display it on the screen.
2 to 3 km is certainly possible with Zigbee using a mesh of intermediate nodes

if you have line of sight have you considered a microwave link?

in terms of the PC side I have used C++, C#, VB and Matlab to acquire remote data and process and display it - which to use depends on the application requirements, time and cost constraints, etc

if you have expereience with a suitable langauge use that ?

Well, the distance I mentioned is for two nodes with no intermediate devices. And no possibility for them to be in the same line of sight. Any options?

I know C++ and Python. Can you describe the setup that you used?

Well, the distance I mentioned is for two nodes with no intermediate devices. And no possibility for them to be in the same line of sight. Any options?

I know C++ and Python. Can you describe the setup that you used?
have a look at the XBee RF modules
https://www.digi.com/products/wirel...lutions/zigbee-rf-modules/zigbee-mesh-module/

some of the lower frequency devices, e.g. below 1GHz, are stated to have ranges which would suit your requirements

I have used both Microsoft Visual C++ and GNU gcc with wxWidgets to create data acquisition and display systems
Data typically being acquired via WiFi, wired Ethernet or USB communications from a microcontroller
example interface using GNU gcc and wxWidgets
cursor1.jpg

Will check the modules that you have mentioned :thumbsup:

That's cool! Guess I shall go with a similar setup. Will post up once I decide!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuck up with something else. Will check that out!:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back