Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Edison museum near NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitt trigger

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If you find yourself in the New York City area and you have already seen the tourists sites, strolled thru its parks and streets, and dined at its hundreds of restaurants, you may want to head to the East Orange, NJ suburb and visit the Edison museum.
Definitely worth the visit.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry it is West Orange

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry it is West Orange

My folks and I visited the Edison Historical Site. Very enjoyable. We saw the laboratory, library, and a museum displaying several of his inventions.

I remember looking at a large switch which carried heavy DC current. The contact brush was a couple inches across, consisting of several copper plates held tightly together. Their edges built up to a large surface which slid into a large groove in a copper plate.

Through repeated operation the edges wore into the groove and made contact over a large area. This sort of cumbersome design was necessary, back when they were lighting up a city block with DC.

---------------------------------------------

Over the years I had heard different reports of the number of trials Edison performed on light bulb filaments, before finding a substance which could be commercially viable. I think the largest I heard was 10,000.

So I asked the guide "What is the correct number?" She said 3,000.

Definitely worth! i´ve been there last summer. always remind me of homer simpson wants to be like edison ;)

Definitely worth! i´ve been there last summer. always remind me of homer simpson wants to be like edison ;)

That was a memorable episode. Homer got the idea he wanted to catch up with Edison, in terms of life's accomplishments. He drew a timechart and mounted it on his wall. It showed what he achieved in life, compared to Edison's achievements. Edison's were 10 times more than Homer's.

Then Homer visited the Edison laboratory. He looked on a wall. There was a timechart just like his. Edison had listed his own achievements. Next to those were Isaac Newton's achievements. Newton's were ten times as many as Edison's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back