Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PIC MCUs C language Compilers and IDE for PIC16F and PIC18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrah

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to write some program in C language for a PIC16F and a PIC18F. I searched in the internet and I got confused with the name of them! I want a free version and I know that my C program is less than 2 KB. Does MPLAB lonely enough? Or I need to install C16? C18? Which one I must install? Can I install both in a single computer?

I found four kind of MPLAB C18 Compiler here.I don't know which one should I use and what is the difference?

Is there any other free software that is better for a beginner? and also be good for biggish project?

And finally what is the difference between MPLAB IDE and MPLAB X IDE and these different CXs (C18 C24 ...)?

Finally please give me a full view about the advantages and disadvantages of different PIC compilers. And give me a good tutorial source about installation steps and the steps to build a simple flashing LED with PICs for step one to getting started with this kind of MCUs.

Note that I am familiar with AVRs and I worked with them about 1 year.

MPLAB and MPLAN X are only IDEs and not Compilers. MPLAB doesn't support newer XC8, XC16 and XC32 Compilers but MPLAB X support both older compilers like Hi-Tech PICC, PICC18, Microchip C18 and newer Microchip's XC8, XC16 and XC32/++ Compilers. You can use MPLAB X with XC8 Compilers Lite version. The demo will work in PRO mode for 45 or 60 days and then switch to Lite mode. They are free. There is no size limitation for code but in Lite mode there won't be optimizations. You can also they mikroC PRO PIC Compiler demo version. It has a demo limit of 2 KB and comes with its own IDE. If you use MPLAB X then you can install plugin for CCS C Compiler and use CCS C Compiler from within MPLAB X or else you can use CCS C Compiler as a standalone Compiler.

MPLAB X IDE is newer than MPLAB IDE, and it supports all types of compiler.
In this C18 is the best choice......................

Why?
Isn't C8 & C16 & C32 newer than C18?
Why do you prefer it to these three new compiler?
And what is the difference between C18 and the others?

Why?
I think C8 & C16 & C32 is newer than C18, right? If so, why do you prefer C18 to these three new compiler? And what is the difference?

Few weeks back i was a total beginner in PIC programming and mplab was confusing me a lot. so i tried out MIKROC. and guess what, its really cool. I wrote many programs using mikroc.

As nobody answered, MPLAB ceased development over a year ago at version 8.92. MPLABX is it's replacement and is still the current release of IDE. Unlike 8.92 which is for Windows only, MPLABX is cross platform.

Within MPLABX you can install almost any compiler you want but the best ones for continued support from Microchip are the ones they produce themselves. They are called XC8, XC16 and XC32. All have free versions and 'pro' versions for which you have to pay a fee.

The best compiler supporting virtually all the PIC12, PIC16 and PIC18 series in one program, with an IDE, simulator and full debugging capability is probably WIZ-C which is not free but is lower cost than most other compilers. It can also simulate and simultaneously debug in a virtual environment where several PICs are interconnected. For example, you could simulate a system with several different PICs, each running their own programs and joined together by I2C or UART links.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back