Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic load question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljy4468

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I measured boost converter with kikusui electronic load.
And when I draw 2A with elec. load, my dcdc oscillates.

But when I draw 2A with resistor (real resistor), my converter operates stable.

Then what is the difference between electronic load and real resistor?
of course, IN/OUT condition and load current condition is same.

Thanks in advance.

It seems you do not have enough gain margin/phase in your DC converter.

Are you using remote sensing in CR mode on the active load?

The stability of your converter can also be observed with a step load. Show some photos of layout and responses.
What is the ESR of your load capacitance and drivers and coil?

Try putting a capacitor across your resistive load to see if the DCDC starts to oscillate. It is likely that the electronic load has one. So the real question is how likely is it that your DCDC has to operate into a capacitive load, remembering that most electronic circuits have Vcc decoupling.
Frank

Apart from expectable non-ideal behaviour of the electronic load (e.g. parallel capacitance), a current source (ideally infinite resistance) is clearly different from a resistive load.

It's well possible that the DC/DC is stable with resistive load and unstable with current source load.

Status
Not open for further replies.