Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB in digital camera - which type of USB chip is used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodooman

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cypress usb camera source code

Hi all,

could somebody tell me, which type of USB chip is usually used in digatal cameras?

... and could anyone supply me a scheme or any other inforamtion about this (windows driver, tech info, ...)?

Thanks to all.

Dear friend,
U are interested in video streaming? In this case is much simple to use only CCD chip and some hardware around this (memory for framing storage, memory for compression and some micro for making the software compresion) The solution to use USB camera and to implement all the layers in your aplication is not a quite good ideea...
U'll find CCD modules (m*otorolla MCM20027 and MCM20014 or s*ony)and the compresion algorithm could be mpeg (from T*oshiba MPEG4 or Z*oran MPEG2) or a bzip compression made-it by a risc CPU...
hope this will be usefull for U!
//a

hi, thanks for fast response :smile:

... i'm not interrested in video streaming now. I want to get some informations about typical USB chipset in USB devices, like digital cameras (i know, there are FireWire at most cases, but ...).

-----------
We are building USB device and we have big problems to get/buy chip samples (<5 pieces) for USB.

Rgds, WDM

did you check out cypress chipsets for usb?

yes, I checked Cypress and TI ... TI has advantage, because they send free samples (up to 3 parts) promptly (to 2 days)!

... and there is support for these devices in _K_e_i_l compiler :smile:

But, there are big problems with USB devices. It's difficult to connect some devices to some computers - it's not PnP device as you can see in advertisment :sad:

...and this is reason of my question, i want to know, which chipset is most ferquently used and therefore probably without significant problems :wink:
(as example I wrote digital cameras, but you can have experience with any other device - scanner, printer, mouse ...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: woodooman on 2001-10-15 16:43 ]</font>

philips make a range of usb interface chips.
Windows has built in drivers.
The trick is in writing the report descripers and usage tables. This tells windows how to interpret the data from the usb device. Some tools exsist to help with the report descriptors. Read chapter 9 of the usb spec. I have had some sucsess with usb, but it aint easy.
Good luck

thx, btbass
philips makes interresting chips ... but on other side, what is price and availability???

what is the software for TI and philips usb chips.

Woodooman, what is your favoriate so far?

Philips chips are available, and Cypress, they compete in the same market, so prices are competative. Some have embedded 8051 flash micro. Code is available on the web, search and you will find code to do enumeration and the tricky bits.
I use the PIC16C765, but that is low speed, good for digital I/O. Webcam would need full speed device.

btbas,
how is usb on that microchip baby?
easy to use?

thx roli, it takes me some time to browse your links ... it's fairly wide :grin:

I don't have favourite chipset now ... but I hope, I'll find it :smile:

I think, it's mainly question, if my (or available) distributor is able sell me few (<5) pieces of components. It's no problem to obtain 1kU from manufacturer :sad: and it's no problem to obtain 1kU from reseller :sad:

Since Intel is rolling out a south bridge chipset with integrated USB 2.0 soon, should consider designing USB 2.0 also. You can download the spec from https://www.usb.org.

Yep, Pic16C765 is easy to use as Microchip supply sample code to do the enumeration
and a windows driver for non hid device.
Go to their website and look at specs for pic16C7xx, there you can download c or asm code and windows driver for usb.
All the tricky stuff is done, you just use putep1, getep1 to read and write.
Only hang up is the low speed but a full speed device with 10 bit a/d is due out soon.

Here is the link for the sample code.
Get the support files and the code examples.
WDM driver is good for non hid device.

h**p://w*w.microchip.com/1000/pline/picmicro/families/16c7xx/index.htm

only low speed for now? I need full-speed.
also, the internal flash is too small for me, the speed may be ok, even though a little slow for my application.

low speed yes, but using the WDM driver, I can transfer 8K bytes per second!
Same as 64K BAUD if you was using serial port.

1. look for the USB handbook (USB folder in FM).
2. try https://www.ftdichip.com - their USB interface chips look interesting, have all necessary drivers and examples in main languages.

Regards,

iv

thanks ivanovich, nice book!
I could upload files from CD-ROM included in 'USB Complete' book, if anybody want.

Some useful links with camera USB bridges / sensors manufacturers, eval kits, also Linux sources (for most cams Linux drivers do not support all compression features against Windows "native" drivers).
Also please check camera manufacturers websites from the pages below for software support:
**broken link removed**
http://webcam.sourceforge.net/#cams
**broken link removed**
http://www.endpoints.com
http://www.aox.com
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back