Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Dumping out memory addresses and its contents in a file (Xilinx Spartan 6 FPGA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaul

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I had used Xilinx CoreGen for block RAM generation, then have used the instantiation of it in my design. This RAM is working fine for read and writes - proven in RTL sim.

What I want now is to dump out this particular RAM's addresses and its contents correspondingly as this memory is accessed. This is want to do in the top-level test-bench. The RAM is instantiated somewhere deep down in the design hierarchy.

How can I do this, what are the steps to do this?
Any pointers...

Thanks,
dpaul

It would be possible in many ways - but is this Verilog or VHDL?
Would you want to access the actually memory contents, or are you happy to just output the memory d_out as an address is accessed?
The first one would be rather hard, and the 2nd would be quite easy.

More specs?

1> Verilog

2> This memory is 1 x 16384 (It can store a single bit, 0 or 1).
Ports - clk, ena (memory enable), wea (erite enable), addra, dina, douta.
Under certain conditions both when ena and wea are HIGH, it is possible to write a single bit into the memory.
It would be sufficient for me to dump/write out to a file the address ("addra") value and the corresponding data being written to it ("dina"). I want to do it in my top-level_test-bench.
Any more info?

Use Verilogs . hierarchical reference to the memory array variable. e.g. top.sub.ram.mem_array
You can put that in a for loop and read all the values any time you want from the testbench.

ok, I am using $writememb("dump_file.txt", memory_inst) and I get a dump of the memory contents when a particular condition is satisfied. But since in my code, that particular condition is satisfied more than once, so everytime dump_file.txt is being overwritten and I have the last memory contents.
I want the complete dump everytime, APPENDED to a single file, every time when the condition is satisfied. How can I do that?
I know about fwrite(), but cannot figure out how to append the $writememb() value to a file. Is this possible?

Open the dump_file.txt with the append option, and don't close it until the simulation finishes. or open (in append mode) and close it each time you need to do $writememb.

I believe that will work, but I haven't tried it. The other option is to do like I previously suggested and just access the memory array directly then you can write all the data in the memory on each satisfied condition in a humanly readable format with $fwrite.

Reactions: dpaul

dpaul

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks ads-ee. Finally I didn't use memory dump methodology. I used file write. My mem generated from Xilinx CoreGen is 1x16384, ie, a memory which can store a single bit and is 16384 deep.

Code Verilog - [expand]
initial begin : memory_dump_out
    file_name = $fopen("file.txt", "w+");
end

always (@ posedge clk) begin
  integer i;
  if (some condition is satisfied) begin
     for (i=0; i<16384; i=i+1) begin
        $fwrite(file_name, "%b \n", top_inst.top_next_inst....<hierarchy comes here>.....blk_mem_gen_v7_3_1x16384_inst.inst.native_mem_module.blk_mem_gen_v7_3_inst.memory[i];
     end
    $fwrite(file_name, "----------------------------");
  end
end

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back