Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

exact simulation time

Status
Not open for further replies.

snehalkate

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does simulation process in modelsim contain parse,elaborate and simulation steps? if yes, then how i can calculate exact simulation time of a verilog code in modelsim?(excluding the time required for parsing and elaborating)
Thank you

Simulation time in modelsim refers to the test case run time..It does not include parsing or elaboration time..
You cannot calculate simulation time beforehand...

so how can i calculate exact simulation time for my design?

Do you mean the simulated time?

or ....

Do you mean the amount of time it takes for your simulation to finish after you press the Start Simulation button?

I mean only simulation time. what exact time i need for only simulation of my design.(i don't want any design elaboration and other time included in that.)

The below TCL command in transcript window of modelsim giving me 342244 microseconds per iteration(this is simulation time) for my particular design. i want to know does it mean per iteration? and how to find out how many iterations does it take?

Code:
set compiletime [time {vcom myfile.v}]
set runtime [time {vsim -do "run -all" my_toplevel}]

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know of any method you can determine the simulation time before actually running the simulation..

You have a gift for being ambiguous. Luckily from the [time {vsim -do "run -all" my_toplevel}] bit I can deduce you probably mean the wall-clock time it actually takes to complete your simulation.

In which case the strict answer is indeed you don't know it until you run it. You can of course extrapolate, but that requires previous runs + some knowledge about the testbench to do the extrapolation.

So the short answer is you cannot predict it. At best you can do a reasonable prediction based on previous similar simulations.

Thank you so much for replies. I don't want to predict or fix the simulation time before running the code. I tried with above TCL script, just to know what result will come out. I have a veilog code and i want to know the exact simulation time for it. Any other way to calculate that?

You're still being ambiguous.

If you want to know the time it takes to run the simulation as in wall clock time then you can either run the simulation from a command line batch/script file that calls the OS's time function to report the clock time or do something similar to what is discussed in this thread to report the start and end wall time in the simulation log file.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back