Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog RAM initialization

Status
Not open for further replies.

riky126

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody, this is my first post in this forum and i need your help :)

I need to initialize different istances of the same verilog module RAM.v from a single data file for all instances (e.g. if i had 16 istances of RAM.v each with 10 WORD of 6 bit, then my data file consists of 10*16 lines of binary data).

I can't use readmemb because it addresses RAM to be initialized, not the data file.
I think i need something to choose read file start point and offset in order to initialize each RAM with different part of the data file. Is it possible?

P:S. Sorry for my bad english!

Two options I see:

For smaller RAMs, read the entire file into one big memory, then copy a slice of the memory into your RAMs. SystemVerilog makes this easy because you can copy slices of memories in a single assignment.

For larger memories, use $fscanf to read one word at a time, and store it in the appropriate memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back