Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital OscilloScope Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashkar

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I want to ask you people that how does a FPGA based Oscilloscope works ?

Like an Entry level DSO Might Have a LVDS o/p ADC Which is connected to a FPGA(With INternal Ram ) And a LCD Screen with a MCU.
Am I right?

It can contain anything you design it to contain. ;-) Google "dso digital oscilloscope fpga". Or take a look at for example teardown videos of Rigol oscilloscopes. That should help get you started.

Ok I got a Nice Teardown on EEVBLOG by David,It helped a Lot.
So I think If I might have a Spartan 3E FPGA and a LVDS based ADC(Pipelined one)Then I would get a high sampling rate based setup.
But I am Confused by the fact that how doed FPGA interfere in ADC LVDS Communication and data entry into fpga.
How does these things really work.
Any literature on a real Digital DSO would be welcome.

Googling "Spartan 3E lvds" would be a good idea then. Read the xilinx docs on lvds for your chosen fpga.

Thank,
So I will be interfacing ADC via FPGA using LVDS protocol.Thats Fine.
So What type of protocol Should I take from FPGA to get the data into a MCU and Display it via A LCD

fpga <==> mcu; uart, i2c, spi, take your pick. Make it regular boring UART, that's probably easiest.

And lcd: read the lcd datasheet and you will know how to interface to the lcd. There's example C code out there for the more popular mcu's, but you will have to google around a bit to find it for your mcu and lcd module.

Fine,I get that easily.
So what do I do to connect LVDS via FPGA and what type of methodology should be implemented in doing so?

Good to hear you get that easily. You can easily get the answer to the above question by employing this search engine called google. Seriously. I could do that now and find the proper link in 10 seconds or less. But I don't want to deprive you of the learning opportunity. So off you go ... the brave new world of using a search engine on your own, it awaits you!

Good luck!

Reactions: Ashkar

Ashkar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back