Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

150V to 230V DC 10Amp Power supply deisgn

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilele

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need DC supply which can give 10amp current
i have no experience in high volt high current power supply design..

i have designed only 5V 12V 1amp supplies and basically i am an embedded engineer..

I searched the net i got some 10amp circuits with parallel transistors to boost current but they were 12v even i got some 0-300V circuit by they were 150mA

can we boost current using paraller irf740 mosfets..in same circuit.. or some other options are there..
the-variable-high-voltage-power-supply-0-300V.jpg
High voltage regulator.jpg

I think you should use thyristor/triac based controller to control the input of the transformer as a pre regulator and a half controlled (thyristor) full bridge rectifier as regulator to control the output. The above(what you posted above) design has a huge draw back of heat dissipation. If you operate this circuit at 150v/10A, the dissipated by transistor will be as high as (270-150)*10 which i think is a bad idea. I'd rather order it to some power designing company who will do it and save my self from some electric shock and research

one company is asking 90 thousand Rs for providing readymade 0-300V 10Amps power supply..

for me 200V to 230V DC is enough at 10amps

- - - Updated - - -

i was thinking for time being for testing my load i can use

230Vac supply ---- > variac---> bridge rectifier ---> inductor 1mH ---> capacitor 6800uf/450V ----> load

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/nurtyu/dc-supply1/

later on i can try some regulator design and constant current supply design using pwm driven mosfet..

230Vac supply ---- > variac---> bridge rectifier ---> inductor 1mH ---> capacitor 6800uf/450V ----> load

Yes, a variac will make this project much easier.

Notice, however, that to draw 10A at 300V, your components must carry large current pulses. A simulation calculates 46A.

3504941300_1409524665.png

So it may work, but only if there is no problem getting 50A pulses through your house wiring. What is your fuse rating?

Here is something that will broaden the pulses and reduce their amplitude. Increase the inductor to 10 or 20 mH. Possibly also put it before the diode bridge. Also consider adding a capacitor for power factor correction.

BradTheRad, i like your simulation, very useful. What software did you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.