Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inferring DSP48s(four slices) as 35x35 muliplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpWeapon

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to INFER the DSP48 slice as a multiplier for large numbers, more than 25x18( I did this by instantiating), specifically 35x35. In UG193 page 71, it is described that to have 35x35 it needs 4 slices with 6 clock cycles latency(to achieve this I used a shift register, so that the synthesizer will understand to use the DSP slice's registers ). I was basically trying to do this in the following code, but I keep on getting zero definition of * error. What did I do wrong.

Code:
entity InferingTest is
	generic(dataWidth: integer:=35);
	port(
		en: in STD_LOGIC;
		CLK: in STD_LOGIC;
		A: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(dataWidth-1 downto 0);
		B: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(dataWidth-1 downto 0);
		P: out STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2*dataWidth-1 downto 0)
	);
end InferingTest;

architecture Behavioral of InferingTest is
	constant latencyForDSP: integer:=5;
	type arr is array(latencyForDSP downto 0) of STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2*dataWidth-1 downto 0);
	signal shiftReg: arr;
	signal PP: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(2*dataWidth-1 downto 0);
begin

P<=shiftReg(latencyForDSP);
	process(CLK)
	begin
		if(CLK'event and CLK='1') then 
			if(en='1') then 
				 PP<=A * B;	
				 shiftReg(0)<=PP;
				 shiftReg(1 to latencyForDSP)<=shiftReg(0 to latencyForDSP-1);	
			end if;
		end if;
	end process;

end Behavioral;

You do it wrong. It's not about delaying the output. DSP48E is maximally 25 x 18 multiplayer. So your code will not be inffered as DSP48E.
Everything is described in UG191 page 71.
Code:
DSP1 = (0, A[16:0]) x (0, B[16:0]) 
DSP2 = (A[41:17] x (0, B[16:0])) 
+ PCIN shift17 of DSP1
DSP3 = ((0, A[16:0]) x B[4:17]) + 
PCIN of DSP2
DSP4 = (A[41:17] x B[35:17]) + PCIN 
shift17 of DSP3

I was basically trying to do this in the following code, but I keep on getting zero definition of * error. What did I do wrong.

you are performing multiplication with std_logic_vector data type,which is not supported in vhdl. Use numeric_std package which has unsigned and signed datatypes for arithmetic operations.
use type conversion for multiplication.

Yeah, I have seen the code in the UG193. But what does that mean then, I thought the synthesizer will cascade the respective slices accordingly right? How would you infer the four slices then, manually arranging the numbers as noted there?

The type conversion is not a problem, I just had in mind the DSP slice which handles two's compliment vectors.

I got bad experience with xilinx dsp48A synthesizer, but i see that your code #1 with minor changes (std to signed) implemented well on spartan6

Oh, so did you actually get the four DSP48s inferred in the synthesis report?

exactly:

DSP48A1 : 4
LUT : 29
Register : 87

@XC6SLX150T

Great! I also changed the numbers to signed, the synthesis works fine. While implementing I have this message, I am unable to see how it is implemented. Have you came across this massage by any chance?

Code:
Process "Synthesize - XST" completed successfully

Started : "Translate".
ERROR: could not find ngdbuild input file (ngc, ngo, or edif).

WARNING: could not find the netlist for the design, translate can not run.

Is there a ngd file for the design in the build directory after XST completes? There should be a file in the directory that ngdbuild leaves that will show you the command line used to call ngdbuild, make sure the ngd file it's looking for is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back