Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate SNR using STF or NTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pra

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to calculate SNR?

I know the Signal Transfer function (STF) and Noise Transfer Function (NTF) of my system. (both are in z transform)
how to calculate the SNR using this transfer functions
Thanku

Re: how to calculate SNR?

SNR is signal noise ratio!
So you must calculate signal/noise!
Regards.

Hi,

It is signal power divided to noise power

usually in db

cheers

I forget to say that:
SNR=20 log (signal/noise)
or
SNR=10 log (power of signal/power of noise)

Ok?
Regards.

Just using a transfer function you cannot.
You need numbers.
SNR depends on signal power and noise power. So in first step you need to know the Signal power input and also the noise density.
If your tf filters the spectrum. Some of the noise power will reduce but your NF adds some noise. Starting with this you will be able to find the SNR.
BRMadhukar

The S/N ratio is exceedingly difficult to measure without special (and very expensive) test equipment. For instance to test for S/N ratio could cost in the region of £25,000 for the equipment. A less expensive way is to introduce a special filter to exclude the video signal and measure the remaining noise, from which the S/N ratio can be calculated. However even this filter can cost in the order of £1,000. Neither of these methods are practical in the field on actual installations, even if the equipment could be afforded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back