Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make sim900 a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ritug

I am using SIM900 module and trying to make it a server using AT+CIPSERVER=1,40 command.
when i try to read its status it is in listening mode but it does not respond to ping request.

please help me

usually modems such as the SIM900 are inside a private company network and access the wider internet via a NAT box. Such a confguration makes it difficult for a client on the internet to access a server on the modem as it has no means of accessing the IP address on the private network. To access data on a modem one can send it an SMS text messageto prompt it to run a TCP client to access a remote server.

yeah i know and i read such topics but could not find anything that resolve my problem. :(

suggest me tha commands. i do not know much about tha
I have never tried to run a server on a modem - when using modems I aways ran a client to connect to a remote server on a regular basis (e.g. every 10 minutes) to upload data stored over a period of time.

Situations where we had a requirement for a remote client to access a local server we used a wired ethernet or WiFi interface with a local static IP address and port forwarding set up on the NAT box.

what exactly are your requirements?

i just want to communicate to sim900 modems, one as server and other as client

Hello again,;-)
So you have two modems?
Please show logging commands you are using in each of modules, so we can examine whether the previous settings to the one you showed us are correct.

Thank you

usually modems such as the SIM900 are inside a private company network and access the wider internet via a NAT box. Such a confguration makes it difficult for a client on the internet to access a server on the modem as it has no means of accessing the IP address on the private network.
I suppose, SIM900 is connected to internet via a GSM service provider. Most service providers don't support ingoing TCP/IP connections. More exactly, these days IP adresses of GSM internet users are shared between multiple devices and an additional address translation is performed. This makes it impossible to reach a specific port of your virtual IP address from the outside.

You need to subscribe to a more expensive fixed IP option offered by some internet providers, or use specific services that provide VPN access through a server to mobile devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.