Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] coax cable selection upto 6Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

emresel

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello;
I will use around 1~1.5m coax cable upto 6Ghz. Feed connector is SMA type.
I found below can be used with SMA.
RG142, RG58, RG316, RG316 DS (Double Shileded)

Can you grade them from good to bad?
As i understand rg142 is better. But i cannot decide if rg58 or rg316 is better.

Are those bad to use such freq (~6ghz) for short distances?
Any other advises welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:

Those are cable classifications, they don't point out about the quality.
Quality depends on the materials which have been used in cable assemblies.
I recommend you to use factory assembled and crimped high quality cables for consistant measurments for that length.
https://www.gore.com/en_xx/index.html

Hi;
Thanks for advise.
But as i checked on line sites which sells assembled cables, they define the cable between connectors as RGxxx.
ie digikey, pasternack. So i asked about like this.
Even i purchase factory assembled cable still i need an idea about proper cable selection.

Did you also notice the column "Maximum frequency" in the cable selectors? RG58 e.g. isn't specified for frequencies above 1 GHz and won't be offered in a selection for 6 GHz cables.

For detail information, you'll either review cable manufacturer catalogs or the MIL RGxx specifications.

Hi;
Thanks for advise.
But as i checked on line sites which sells assembled cables, they define the cable between connectors as RGxxx.
ie digikey, pasternack. So i asked about like this.
Even i purchase factory assembled cable still i need an idea about proper cable selection.

That's why I'm saying those cable classifications don't fit into standard measurement grade.
Cable assemblers-suppliers use their own custom designed cables and you should refer their cable specifications to decide the right one.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I'm saying those cable classifications don't fit into standard measurement grade.
Cable assemblers-suppliers use their own custom designed cables and you should refer their cable specifications to decide the right one.

Try this applet..
https://tools.gore.com/gmca/

Thanks for your comments,
I skip rg58 and decide to buy RG316 DS for now to try and see.
I also found a note later;
**broken link removed**
Add here, maybe help any other person look at here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back