Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to reduce combinational node in FPGA design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoheiho

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am using a low cost FPGA (EP2C5T144C6) and trying to compile my verilog code in Quartus II.

The error message come out:
Error (170011): Design contains 5204 blocks of type combinational node. However, device contains only 4608.

I have try to reduce some If,Else case but it has no big different. Is there any suggestions that i can try to solve this problem??

Thanks

You'll analyze thoroughly where the design resources go. In some cases, parallel can be replaced by sequential logic.

Is it possible that you didn't clean your code and it has many latches instead of DFF ?

Thanks for the reply

Use a bigger device?

I cannot use a bigger device since thats the only FPGA I got :( and also the PCB connection

You'll analyze thoroughly where the design resources go. In some cases, parallel can be replaced by sequential logic.

Sorry, I know wt means by sequential logic but wt is the meaning of parallel?

Is it possible that you didn't clean your code and it has many latches instead of DFF ?

I am using only a few latch and most of them are DFF :(

The fact that you are using any latches usually points to poor design practice. WHy not post the code thats causing the problem?

Your FPGA:
https://www.digikey.co.il/product-detail/en/EP2C5T144C6/544-2136-ND/1468677

4608 is the number of logic elements of your device. It also has a lot of RAM...
My first guess - you use a lot of D Flip Flops and little RAM.

Questions:

1. What makes you think that your code is ought to fit in that device in the first place? Is it an existing design ?
2. From the Quartus synthesis report - how many D Flip Flops does your design consume ?
3. Does your design make use of division operations ?
4. What entity consumes the most amount of logic? What does it do ?

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
4608 is the number of logic elements of your device. It also has a lot of RAM...
My first guess - you use a lot of D Flip Flops and little RAM.
All we can determine from the OP's original post is that they are using too many LUTs.
hoheiho said:
Error (170011): Design contains 5204 blocks of type combinational node. However, device contains only 4608.
The reported error doesn't imply that they have a problem with the number of flip-flops in the design.

The OP needs to post their code as TrickyDicky suggests, I suspect the code is probably not optimally done for an FPGA design and has excessively large combinational logic.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back