Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine the signal strength of the IR transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

anboli

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi to all,
i had designed the through beam sensor by using of the IR transmitter and IR Receiver LED. Its working quite properly. My doubt is how to find the signal strength of the IR tranmsitter Led, without receiver. By the use of receiver i can determine the distance. but not able to find the strength. If i vary the Forward voltage of the IR Transmitter, distance getting increased, while decrease the forward voltage, distance also getting reduced.

Kindly tell me how to determine the strength of the TRANSMITTER?
Thanks in advance,
anboli

You can check the specs of the IR Transmitter LED from the data sheet which will give you some information about its dissipation of IR for along with the distance.this might help you....

in the datasheet they given the wavelength 950nm and degree as +or- 15degree..
**broken link removed**

this is the IR transmitter which im using..

Fig 5 and 6 give you a relationship for your requirement as indicted by FvM. If you want to calculate the signal strength at some distance from transmitting LED, you can estimated it with radar equation.... but IR is not same as Microwave... IR fades away quicker than microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back