Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

potentiometer problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dope40

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi , does anyone know of a potentiometer that i can control using voltage?

I suppose you need a component that has to dissipate low power (i.e. low current flowing through it). There are many digital potentiometers, on the market, that can be varied sending them a digital word (typically SPI). If you need instead a potentiometer controlled by an analog voltage you can use PIC that converts the analog voltage to digital through an ADC and translate it in a SPI command. Other possibility design by yourself using fet as variable resistor.

Voltage-controlled resistor is a BJT or a MOSFET. You can design a circuit that outputs a voltage or current controlled by a control voltage. You can also try a LM317T voltage regulator, also controllable by a voltage. All depends on what voltage range you need at output and what is the load.

There are things called photoresistive opto-couplers. They control a resistance with current through an LED which shines on a photoresistor. The controlling voltage source should drive the LED through a series resistor. Try a net search for "photoresistor optocoupler". It is not a potentiometer exactly. Just a variable resistance without an output tap. Then, clever ways are used to fashion a true potentiometer with this idea. Search for "potentiometer optocoupler". BTW use an image search and not a web search. It shows up lots more ideas. For this application, light is your friend.

Reactions: bsprajc

bsprajc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i want to use it to change a RC circuit using voltage from a frequency to voltage converter.

Standard optocouplers basically have a current type (high impedance) output. If you want a variable resistance then you could use a photoresistive type coupler as Analog Ground mentioned such as this.

Generally, an optocoupler is not used unless the isolation characteristic is needed. Does changing the RC circuit require the isolation? Is there another way to get the same effect in your application? What is going on when changing the RC circuit?

can i use a optocoupler to change the value of an rc circuit?

Try photoresistor optocouplerer. LED lights photoresistor and it changes it's resistance.

Simple way to construct a LED and LDR in a house with heat shrink sleeve pack it nicely.

I used this technique to control my Fan speed Phase angle control with PWM (without zero crossing feedback)

LED-LDR.jpg

LED-LDR_Optocoupler.gif

Ref:

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/

There is mechanical version of this. You need to use voltage to turn the internal motor. This best suites for the high resistance potentiometer. You may come across some IC type digital controllable potentiometer, but that mostly applied for low power and small value resistance

tell me please exact brand that are popular and run longtime. I buy every month potenionmetors. Someone Suggest me LG potenionmetors does it is comfortable and run long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.