Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design Of L band to Ku Band Upconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

srlraghuls

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I Need to Convert 950MHz to 1700Mhz(L Band) Band to 13.75GHz to 14.5GHz(Ku Band) using a fixed LO Frequency as 12.8GHz.My Reference Oscillator Frequency is 10MHz.

Can you Please Help me to to Choose a Mixer,Filter and PLL/Synthezier for the UP Converter.

Thank You

Suitable mixers for your upconverter are offered by MiniCircuits. Select LO power level for your linearity specifications and select your 12.8 GHz LO to fit.

As your LO. is fixed, then what you need for the "synthesizer"? If you need a stable PLO for the local oscillator driven by 10 MHz reference, you must find a PLO maker: try Luff Research for the best technology.

The RF output from the mixer will have to pass through a 13.75 to 14.5 GHz band-pass filter which will reject the lower "image" band. There are many companies making custom filters you can use.

For a complete specifications you must include the IF input power level and the P-1dB for the RF output which typically is ~7 dB lower than LO input power.

Suitable mixers for your upconverter are offered by MiniCircuits. Select LO power level for your linearity specifications and select your 12.8 GHz LO to fit.

As your LO. is fixed, then what you need for the "synthesizer"? If you need a stable PLO for the local oscillator driven by 10 MHz reference, you must find a PLO maker: try Luff Research for the best technology.

The RF output from the mixer will have to pass through a 13.75 to 14.5 GHz band-pass filter which will reject the lower "image" band. There are many companies making custom filters you can use.

For a complete specifications you must include the IF input power level and the P-1dB for the RF output which typically is ~7 dB lower than LO input power.

Thank you for your Reply
My Input IF Frequency is 70 ± 4 MHz fixed with power level of 0 dBm nominal .First I need to Up Convert the 70MHz IF signal to 950MHz to 1700Mhz(L Band IF), Then the L Band is to be Upconverted to 13.75GHz to 14.5GHz(Ku Band) using a fixed LO. The Output Power Level is 0 ± 3dBm at 13.75GHz to 14.5GHz

- - - Updated - - -

**broken link removed**

Thank you for your Reply

The Data Sheet For the VCO is Not Available.for TFF11126HN/N1 the Input signal frequency is 48.3 MHz to 808.8 MHz but my Referency oscillator Frequency is 10MHz and If i use Frequency Multiplier then my phase noise degrades.

My Input IF Frequency is 70 ± 4 MHz fixed with power level of 0 dBm nominal .First I need to Up Convert the 70MHz IF signal to 950MHz to 1700Mhz(L Band IF), Then the L Band is to be Upconverted to 13.75GHz to 14.5GHz(Ku Band) using a fixed LO. The Output Power Level is 0 ± 3dBm at 13.75GHz to 14.5GHz

Thank you for your Reply

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your Reply

The Data Sheet For the VCO is Not Available.for TFF11126HN/N1 the Input signal frequency is 48.3 MHz to 808.8 MHz but my Referency oscillator Frequency is 10MHz and If i use Frequency Multiplier then my phase noise degrades.

All right, so you need two upconverters. With 0 dBm input at 70 MHz you need first a +10 dBm LO in put to get to 0.95-1.7 GHz, and a synthesizer LO to position your 70 MHz spectrum (bandwidth to define) to the first IF. MIxers again from Mini Circuits, for a synthesizer ask Luff Research. You need to define serial or parallel tuning and reference source (can be included in the LO synthesizer).
The second stage upconverter I have discussed earlier. Filters will be needed and you must define their pass as well as reject band and rejection loss. Custom filters are best, ask Lark or K&L.

To get 0 dBm at final output you need >+7 dBm LO to mixer and certainly an IF as well as RF amplifier. Again check MiniCircuits.
As your reference is 10 MHz, choose the best one. You must use multiplication and phase noise must degrade. Good phase-locked oscillators help to get a good PN.

As you are going into this design for a first time, find an existing commerciAl model of this upconverter (used in all old VSATs) and learn from the design as well as its parameters. Filtering can be quite difficult and as can see you have no idea about them.

All right, so you need two upconverters. With 0 dBm input at 70 MHz you need first a +10 dBm LO in put to get to 0.95-1.7 GHz, and a synthesizer LO to position your 70 MHz spectrum (bandwidth to define) to the first IF. MIxers again from Mini Circuits, for a synthesizer ask Luff Research. You need to define serial or parallel tuning and reference source (can be included in the LO synthesizer).
The second stage upconverter I have discussed earlier. Filters will be needed and you must define their pass as well as reject band and rejection loss. Custom filters are best, ask Lark or K&L.

To get 0 dBm at final output you need >+7 dBm LO to mixer and certainly an IF as well as RF amplifier. Again check MiniCircuits.
As your reference is 10 MHz, choose the best one. You must use multiplication and phase noise must degrade. Good phase-locked oscillators help to get a good PN.

As you are going into this design for a first time, find an existing commerciAl model of this upconverter (used in all old VSATs) and learn from the design as well as its parameters. Filtering can be quite difficult and as can see you have no idea about them.

Hi
Thanks for the Reply

If you have any of the old design of existing commerciAl model of this upconverter (used in all old VSATs). Can you PLease Upload here.

Sorry I have not. I have worked in mm-wave bands , not as low as you need. Depending upon the type of modulation, you will have to find filter specifications so you can order correct filters. For example, you never specified the spectrum of 70 Mz IF signal, or if you need more channels to coexist over 0.95 to 1.7 GHz )(BTW, 0.95 to 1.45 GHz is used in the U.S., up to 2.15 GHz in EU).
I would assume the old VSAT upconverters might be available on e-bay or you could consult the agency offering VSAT services to gas stations, etc. for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back