Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to break a faulty wireless keyboard and mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkubr

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse from a local retailer. After 2 months the mouse is becoming unresponsive and the keyboard misses keystrokes. Also the battery life is about 3 days. Basically the product is useless to me as it is just to frustrating to use. There is a 6 months return policy, so when I returned the unit to the retailer they said they needed to send it in for “testing”. A few days later they called to tell me there is no fault and the unit is functioning as advertised, and my expectation of how the unit should function is irrelevant. So what I want to know is how do I “break” it properly so the retailer is forced to give me my refund. Obviously there can be no sign of abuse (smashed to pieces, water damage, etc.), even though smashing the unit would give me great pleasure, getting my money back is what I really want. The unit takes 2 AAA 1.2volt batteries.

The symptoms suggest a poor radio link rather than two out of three units being faulty. Is it a 27MHz system or Bluetooth? Where is the receiver located relative to the keyboard and mouse and are there any other wireless devices nearby?

One of the computers here uses wireless and the battery life is typically one year but it stops working completely if a nearby 28MHz transmitter is operated.

Brian.

It is a 27MHz system. I tested it on 2 different computers, one desktop where I tried all the USB ports for the receiver. And a notebook (with wireless turned off) and even tried moving around the office. It made no difference. Even using a USB port with direct line of sight to the KBD made no difference. The batteries only lasting 3 days leads me to believe there is a fault that is causing the batteries to drain. I have been through several sets of brand new batteries and rechargeables.

Hooking up a 9volt battery with reversed polarity for a couple of minutes did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.