Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relation between sampling frequency (Hz) and sampling rate (sample per second)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osawa_Odessa

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know the relation between sampling frequency (Hz) and sampling rate (sample per second).
For example, a 1 Hz sin wave sampled at 8000 samples per second. Each cycle of the 1Hz tone will span all 8000 samples (since its period is 1 second). Thus sampling period will be 1/ (8000-1) s
Or sampling frequency will be 8000-1 ≈ 8000Hz.
Is this right?
Thanks.

basically , the sampling rate is the number of samples taken per second which is same as sampling frequency , in your example , the sampling rate is 8000 sample per second so the sampling frequency is 8000 Hz , there is no 8000-1 , over one signal period , the signal is sampled 8000 times , hope this helps
regards

Thanks. I thought there are 8000 samples. Then it should have 8000-1 spaces between them. From that I know sampling frequency.
May I ask another question. If I have a signal that has highest frequency 30Mhz. Which sampling frequency should I choose? Based on Sampling Theorem, the sampling frequency should be at least 60Mhz. But I wonder about 80Mhz, 100Mhz, 150Mhz,...
Is it better to use these high sampling frequencies?

the lowest sampling frequency would ve 60 MHz . you can sample at higher rates but then you will have to work with higherfrequencies and need more bandwidth but a i think a bit higher frequency is good , like when sampling 20 Khz voice at 44.1 khz , this is called oversampling and it is good way to prevent aliasing destortion . also as far as i know this help us as well to recover the signal with less steep filter

Last edited:
Hi, I often see that in ADC if input signal is 500Mhz at highest frequency, then the sampling frequency is chosen at 4GHz ( eight times larger).
Why we need to sample the signal at such a high sampling frequency while we can sample at a bit higher than 1GHz?

Thanks for the link.
I will read it carefully. By the way, could you have a look at this article and tell me what sampling frequency should I use?
The ADC input signal is about 20Mhz.
I want to use 4 bit ADCs in stead of 8 bit's.

Attachments

• Reconfigurable and Simultaneous Dual Band.pdf
    452.9 KB · Views: 192

what is MS/S this unit is regarding sampling i think what does this mean?
thanx

Hello Embpic , MS/S refers to Mega sample per second

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Osawa again
i had a look at the article , i see that they use the under sampling as the signals are modulated on carrier , also i seen a frequencies plan that range from 6 MHz to 25 MHz , which means you will have variable sampling rate /frequency , however from what i remember , if you sampling rate is 50 MHz and you will use 8 bits , your ADC clock will run at 400 MHz (200 MHz for 4 bits )
i suggest that you read some articles about the use of under sampling and the modulated signals
i would like to help but i have been away from this field for like 13 or 14 years
here is a simple link about it , im sure you will find more
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/undersampling.htm

Thanks a lot, deepmak!
I am a beginer and if you don't mind I will ask you some basic questions.
i had a look at the article , i see that they use the under sampling as the signals are modulated on carrier
Could you tell me how can you know that they use under sampling? I read the article many times but don't recognize this. I thought about oversampling!

Hello Osawa and you are welcome
actually it is written in the article in the second highlighted section .

- - - Updated - - -

also this technique is used in communication systems when you moudlate the information signal with high frequency carrier
the following article also talk about this technique
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/bakers-best/4322744/Turning-Nyquist-upside-down-by-undersampling

- - - Updated - - -

also here
http://sva.ti.com/assets/en/appnotes/Undersampling.pdf

thanx
means if oscilloscope having specification tha 20Ms/S. means they are giving 20 000 000 samples per second!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

thanx
means if oscilloscope having specification tha 20Ms/S. means they are giving 20 000 000 samples per second!!!!!!

yes , however there are digital scopes having much higher sampling rate thought

Status
Not open for further replies.