Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power estimation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehran1367

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, all

I have a huge component. I want to estimate the power of different cones in this component. what is the easiest way?

help

You problem is not clear to me: could you explain little bit more ?

well I have a huge vhdl component . actually I want to calculate the power of a specific cone which has its own fan-in and fan-out . can you help me?(im using design compiler)

Sorry, but I'm not able to help you: I'm not expert in vhdl.

i just gave it a thought and have a feeling that it will work.

During simulation write a testbench which enables only the switching / triggering of this specific logic cone and export the activity information file.
You can also use the entire design testbench for a long period and huge a specific timing scope where only this logic work and export activity files based on time scopes.

Now read this file in the synthesis tool which help you estimate the power.

I am aware of RTL compiler that reads multiple activity files and also helps estimate power which correlates till synthesis netlist only but for big designs it helps share feedback back to RTL team

- - - Updated - - -

i just gave it a thought and have a feeling that it will work.

During simulation write a testbench which enables only the switching / triggering of this specific logic cone and export the activity information file.
You can also use the entire design testbench for a long period and huge a specific timing scope where only this logic work and export activity files based on time scopes.

Now read this file in the synthesis tool which help you estimate the power.

I am aware of RTL compiler that reads multiple activity files and also helps estimate power which correlates till synthesis netlist only but for big designs it helps share feedback back to RTL team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back