Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Morgan Chopper Circuit with SCR trigger circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briez

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to this morgan chopper DC-DC converter. I have taken reference circuit from the book Khanchandani.

I want to make Morgan Chopper circuit for Motor Speed Control.

I Want Practical Circuit of Morgan Chopper and Trigger Circuit of SCR using 555 timer.

Please help me to make my project...

Hi Briez
You can easily design a morgan chopper . all you need is a current driver like a transistor and then a pulse transformer and then an SCR which depends on your power rating . and another thing that you need is reading this article !
https://sudhinpk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/morgan-chopper.pdf
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi Briez
You can easily design a morgan chopper . all you need is a current driver like a transistor and then a pulse transformer and then an SCR which depends on your power rating .

Thanks GoldSmith for reply,

But i want to know that how many pulse should be provided to fire SCR? and in what manner should be applied?

And I have File which you have provided by URL, so can u please give me practical circuit of Firing SCR?

But i want to know that how many pulse should be provided to fire SCR? and in what manner should be applied?
Hi Briez
How many pulses ? what do you mean by how many pulses ? i hope you know how an SCR works . when you trig it , it will be turned on while you attempt to turn it off . one trig pulse might be enough . it depends on what kind of load you have and situation of your load . some times when the load is very inductive the best method is using a pulse train .

and in what manner should be applied?
so can u please give me practical circuit of Firing SCR?
Take a look here please :
SCR.JPG

In addition : there are plenty of circuits and methods for driving an SCR . you can search for them too .

Good Luck
Goldsmith

Thanks GoldSmith again,

Can you please tell me if i want to control 24V DC motor by morgan choppper just as project work, then which SCR and Diodes should be used?

Power ratings are 24V dc and 5A maximum.

Can you please tell me if i want to control 24V DC motor by morgan choppper just as project work, then which SCR and Diodes should be used?

Power ratings are 24V dc and 5A maximum.

Hi Briez
May i ask a question please ? why morgan chopper ? just for learning ? because you can use a PWM based DC motor velocity control which would be more simpler and with better specifications .
Anywhere , for answering your question :
BT151 would be good as your thyristor , and for diodes it depends on your load . but you can try 1n5408 or perhaps 1n4007 or UF4007 .
Best Wishes + Good Luck
Goldsmith

Thank you so much goldsmith for reply,

i want to control DC motor, but first i want to know how SCR fires and how it works. So practically i want to implement DC motor of 24V. And then i will go on higher voltage.

As you said SCR and Diode, i am downloading its datasheets and as per its rating try to make morgan chopper circuit.

Thanks Again....

Hi Briez
I understand you are learning about SCR and how it can be fired . but there are also many better ideas to use an SCR for speed control of a DC motor . why you didn't try them ? for instance something like this :
SCR2.JPG

It is very trustful ! because you can control if as well as you want and also when you trig X2 , then X1 will be turned off . i.e: R1 is your DC motor !
BTW : x2 is a low power SCR but X1 is your main SCR .

However if you like to use the morgan chopper , i wish success to you too :wink:
Good luck with SCR !
Goldsmith

Reactions: Briez

Briez

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.