Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

speaker operation problem in proteus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgreen

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have designed an amplifier circuit that shows some result if I use 10k resistor as a load. But when I use a speaker no signal comes. What's the problem? All I have done in Proteus software. schematic is here audio_signal_capture.jpg .

1. TL082 cannot provide enough output current to drive a loudspeaker.
2. You have a very high attenuation from the 10K resistor in series with the output. For example, if you have an 8 Ohm loudspeaker the volume is dropped 10,000:8 or by about 1250 times. With a 10K load it's only dropped to half.

Brian.

Reactions: sgreen

sgreen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
it is because speaker has 8ohm
and your load is 10k

1. TL082 cannot provide enough output current to drive a loudspeaker.
2. You have a very high attenuation from the 10K resistor in series with the output. For example, if you have an 8 Ohm loudspeaker the volume is dropped 10,000:8 or by about 1250 times. With a 10K load it's only dropped to half.

Brian.

Which op-amp I should use to provide enough current.

None! You should use an audio power amplifier instead. Amplifiers like the TL082 are extremely good at amplifying voltages but are not designed to provide much output current. In fact they have an internal resistor in series with their output pin which limits the current they can deliver so it's impossible to get more than about 12mW (0.012W) from them in to an 8 Ohm load.

If you use an IC the one you choose depends on how much power you want to produce, for small loudspeakers or headphones the LM386 is a good choice.

Brian.

sgreen

None! You should use an audio power amplifier instead. Amplifiers like the TL082 are extremely good at amplifying voltages but are not designed to provide much output current. In fact they have an internal resistor in series with their output pin which limits the current they can deliver so it's impossible to get more than about 12mW (0.012W) from them in to an 8 Ohm load.

If you use an IC the one you choose depends on how much power you want to produce, for small loudspeakers or headphones the LM386 is a good choice.

Brian.

If i use output to sample using Microcontroller, does the circuit work? Mentionable as TL082/TL072 is a good voltage amplifier.

Probably not but it depends on your supply voltage and what exactly you want to sample. Are you trying to sample the audio to record/analyze it or are you trying to find it's envelope amplitude?

To find the envelope amplitude (like a VU meter) you must remove the DC voltage from the output of the TL082 and then recify and filter the remaining signal.

To record/analyze (digitize the waveform) you must center the TL082 output voltage at the mid voltage of the ADC. Your circuit already does this with R3 & R4 but most ADC only accept input voltages between 0V and +5V so to have a mid rail of 2.5V you must also run the TL082 from a single 5V supply. My data sheet doesn't specify a lower operating voltage for a TL082 but the specifications go off the graphs at around 8V supply so you might be pushing your luck to get one working properly at such low voltage.

Brian.

sgreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back