Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using USB and SPI at the same time with PIC18F4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooobboy4321

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm working with my project using PIC18F4550, my goal is to expand my I/O ports so I guess I need a Port Expander like MCP23S17 and connect my PIC18F4550 with USB and the PC. My first plan is to use the USART(RS232 Serial Communication to PC) but I see a little bit details of PIC18F4550's Datasheet and I notice that RC7 has RX(for USART) and SDO(for SPI) shared together. I'm thinking of using USB as a communication between PC instead of USART. So my question, is it possible to use both USB and SPI? Thank you.

It's like this :

[PC] <<USB>> [PIC] <<SPI>> [MCP]

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to use USB and SPI together as they do not share pins.

You could also run SPI and rs232 if you used a Software Usart with some other free i/o pins, don't know if your C library will have one though ? - might find one ready made on the web.

Thank you for the quick reply wp100, it saves my time and effort in looking some forums about my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back